8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Kids addicted to games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sienna Johansson
England
flag msg tools
My sister's kids have been seriously getting way too involved with computer games,she asked me what she could do.My friends tell me parental control software will do,do you have any expericence about it?I'm computer challenged.Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe your sister could have them not play video games? Or only give them a half hour per chore done, something like that? Software isn't the only way to get Parental Control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she could intruce boardgaming as an alternative (this worked with my own kids, who now usually ask if they can play a boardgame before they ask about videogames)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Epp
Canada
Abbotsford
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freelunch wrote:
she could intruce boardgaming as an alternative (this worked with my own kids, who now usually ask if they can play a boardgame before they ask about videogames)

I completely agree! We have a Wii (which we do enjoy as a family), but we've made boardgaming the priority in our household & I hear requests from my kids to play boardgames WAY more often then they ask to play videogames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Lewis
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you get much time with the kids? You might be a crucial link in introducing them to the "awesomeness" of board gaming!!!

We have two boys who love video games, too. Sometimes we play them as a family. However, we encourage them to have multiple interests and family activities they can participate in, such as regular board gaming with family and friends. Especially as they get older, this is a great way to stay connected in a fun and enriching way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there are some underlying issues about those kids being addicted to computer games? Do the parents spend enough time with their kids? Do they pay attention to their kids, talk to them a lot about the kids' every day life?
I think parental supervision is much better than inbuilt computer control.
Boardgaming is a very good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids aren't really old enough yet to have this problem, but I don't know if parental controls will really be a valid solution for very long; it may work for a time, but if they are determined, they will find ways around it.

Rather, I like the above suggestions that the best way would be to find incentives to get them off - quality time with the family, activities they enjoy other than video games. IE, the goal isn't to "restrict" them (although there may be times when that is necessary), but to help them see the other fun things to do out there, and spending time with them is likely the best means to doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course, find other fun things, but today's world computer games will be part of their life no matter how fun activities we show them. It also depends on what kind of computer games they are playing.
Kids will find ways around parental control? I would not make this a starting point for my parental care because then where is my kids' responsibility and accountability? I want to be able to trust them and if they fail they will tell me and learn from it.
Parents should check what kind of games their kids play and how much time they are allowed to spend on the computer. At least this is our policy at our house. Personal parental involvement and clear priorities when raising children are very important, in many levels.
Having said this, it is not easy.
Just IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.