Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the official announcement for the third expansion to Chunky Fighters entitled Chunky Fighters UX: Ultra Chunky.
Ultra Chunky will include four brand new Fighters, each with a unique and powerful fighter ability. Like always, these new Fighters can be played alone or combined with your existing Chunky Fighters for exciting new team-ups and larger brawls.

The UX Fighters!
Legendary Hunter - A professor of mystical literature and part-time adventurer who has sworn an oath to use his intimate knowledge of the supernatural to rid the world of darkness.
Gunslinger - A cussin', fightin', shootin' son of a gun raised on black powder and whiskey with a trigger finger like a rattlesnake's tail and the temper of a caged bull.
Bear - This massive and grumpy forest beast can easily shrug off strong blows, has the strength of ten men, and is very protective of her den.
Zombie - The slow and shambling animated corpse of the recently dead, nearly un-killable, who desires only to eat the living.

Ultra Chunky will finally bring the Chunky Fighters series full circle. It will fill some large genre gaps by adding horror, western, and wildlife character archetypes to the roster. The new Fighters' abilities will work well with the existing 12 Fighters. They will be both simple to understand (unlike MX) but powerful enough to compete with the rest. And long-time fans of the series will be able to catch some nods to the original Chunky Fighters (return of underpants and battle damage!).

It is my hope that Ultra Chunky will remind players what is so great about Chunky Fighters. You get to build some funny-looking characters, get together with your friends, and have fun throwing dice while shouting "Body shot!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, sounds excellent, can't wait !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grégory Guazzelli
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick,

Ready to work again with you ... meeple

Just send me the new art ...

Regards,

Grégory
www.VassalFactory.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
softbug wrote:
Hi Nick,

Ready to work again with you ... meeple

Just send me the new art ...

Regards,

Grégory
www.VassalFactory.org

I definitely will. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the time line on release for this? I just finished building the others, and i'm excited to finish it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
What's the time line on release for this? I just finished building the others, and i'm excited to finish it out.

I don't have a time line for Ultra Chunky's release. I have some other projects I've been working on and would like to complete beforehand, so it may be a while. I haven't forgotten about it, I just moved it down the list a couple slots.

Of course, I'll post any new developments on UX to this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in on the German translation for UX, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Solitas wrote:
Count me in on the German translation for UX, by the way.

But of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update

Alright, some news: After a long hiatus I am resuming work on Ultra Chunky. Of course I'll keep you posted on its progress and I will be sure to post art samples every once in a while to sate (or raise) your appetites.

I've also decided to hold another GG lottery for UX once it is ready. The lottery will most likely have multiple winners. At the moment I am thinking of the grand prize being a complete collection (all four sets) and two second place prizes for a pack of Ultra Chunky.

In addition to all of that, I have been seriously thinking of investing in a desktop cutting plotter. This will be able to do the cutting on all of the label sheets, cards, and packaging for CF, which would make producing the game a thousand times easier for me. Of course, it is an investment, so I was thinking of selling packs of CF to help recoup the cost. I know a lot of people have bought packs from me in the past (some even three packs at a time). I imagine these folks wouldn't mind getting the newest expansion to round out their collections. But I wonder how many new players I could draw out of the woodwork? Keep in mind that I've never advertised CF as being for sale, and those who generously bought handmade copies of the game from me usually inquired about it through geekmail. I think that if I announced that I was selling the game, many people who wanted to try CF but couldn't build their own copy might jump at the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need the last two sets, and would be more than willing to buy them from you to support this sticker cutting thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What model of desktop cutting plotter are you looking at getting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for a copy of the next expansion!! I'd love to hear how you like the cutting plotter and what you plan to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
What model of desktop cutting plotter are you looking at getting?

I'm looking at the CraftRobo Pro. It's a heck of a lot more than the regular version, but I could really use the extra cutting width and power. In addition to the labels, I also plan on using it to make the tuckboxes (cutting and scoring) for CF. This model will easily be able to handle that task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Let me know how it works for you. I'm trying to decide between forgoing any further major purchases for a year and picking up a laser cutter, or grabbing something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
Excellent. Let me know how it works for you. I'm trying to decide between forgoing any further major purchases for a year and picking up a laser cutter, or grabbing something like that.

In your case, because I know you are planning on becoming a small-time publisher, you might find it more useful to have a laser cutter. That way you could engrave dice, cut boards and tokens, and do all sorts of other things. A plotter only cuts paper, vinyl, and other sheet goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but the girlfriend is a graphic designer and she's been eyeing a cutter plotters for a while. We shall see. I really want a laser cutter, though.

Heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me put it this way: a laser cutter can do everything a plotter can and more. My uncle is VP of Sales here: http://www.ulsinc.com/ and sells laser cutters all over the world. I asked him if they could cut label paper (to make stickers) and he said yeah, no problem. Maybe you could use that info to sway her opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true. Your uncle should sell you a printer "at cost". I'm sure it'd be like 2k or less if he did. Heh.

Thanks for the information and the link. We'll see what she says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is your first preview of three of the four new Fighters for Ultra Chunky: The Bear, Zombie, and Gunslinger (Legendary Hunter not pictured). It's fun to be working on CF again, and the artwork is going along really quickly. I already have over half of the drawings done but decided to take a break so I could ink these few and show them to you all.

By the way, if anyone feels like getting their paint buckets out and having a shot at coloring these, I'd love to see what you come up with and might even use your color schemes for the final artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:
I am about 80% finished with all of the pencil work for Ultra Chunky.

I decided on a look for the Legendary Hunter and I am really happy with it (and his weapons). He uses a few antique firearms (Blunderbuss? Yes please!) and a variety of traditional holy weapons like the stake and mallet, holy water, etc. I recently got a book on the history of weapons and it is proving invaluable for reference. The Gunslinger uses quite a few period firearms, including the Henry 1860 Repeating Rifle and the .45 Colt Single-Action Army (one of my favorites).

All in all, this is turning into one of the best looking Chunky Fighters sets, period. I can't wait until it's finished!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite dizzy with anticipation!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:
I've been inking the UX art all day and I wanted to show you some of it. These are three of the Legendary Hunter's weapons. His fighter ability allows him to deal extra damage against werewolves and the undead when equipped with holy weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphic, as always, is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Behold!

The fighter artwork is finished. All I have left to do now is color the weapon artwork, assemble the files (label sheets, paper dice models, ability cards, logo, etc.), and Ultra Chunky will be done!

Which reminds me, I haven't ever posted the new fighter's abilities, have I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I really like the hunter, think that's my favorite.

Black Canyon wrote:
Update:Which reminds me, I haven't ever posted the new fighter's abilities, have I?

Not yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.