Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Wong
United States
Oakland Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hey guys, I haven't played this game much yet, but from my first few plays, it doesn't seem like I've ever felt necessary to take only one ball out instead of two. When would you choose to take only one ball out after forming a square?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I have seen such situations, and you'll probably recognize them with an enjoyable "aha" effect when you have one. So don't read the rest of this...

The reasons that springs to my mind immediately are:

If you take just one ball out of the square you just made, you force your opponent to finish the square (otherwise you'll just keep completing it each turn, with net flow of zero balls each turn), and then you can put a ball higher on top of it, which is often useful. (E.g. especially if it is the center of the second level.)

OK, you might reply, that makes sense (to force the opponent to complete a square so I can place a higher ball), but why wouldn't I take a 2nd ball from elsewhere on the board? Because perhaps you can't (they're all covered by higher balls) or you don't want to because it is the only ball of your color in a different square, and you don't want to give your opponent the chance to complete that square and remove balls. Or because you're going to move the other ball immediately from the lower level to the higher level thanks to the square your opponent is forced to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Wong
United States
Oakland Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
that makes a lot of sense! Thanks. Maybe I should've waited til I saw the situation myself. It would've been more fun that way. haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.