yoan bouillon
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Im looking to get more game tomorrow, I HAVE 115$ to spend(2 to 5 players wife included)

1. not to hard to teach(for ex. puerto rico, power grid we were fine)

2. not a game with a long setup or with to many card (like Arkham Horror)

3. a game Payable with 2 if possible and min 5 ...ideally 6.

4 a game with high replayability.

5 AT leas 1 game with different mecanic that the game I own (not to similar)

finally: Mecanic (style) wise we enjoy: power grid, tiket to ride, pandemic, puerto rico,

this are the game and price (can $) and down there the game I own if you have recommendation:
I live in northen canada that why the price a expensive.(delevry to exp)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

race to galaxie (39$)

Cosmic Encounter (76$)

agricola (56$)

Brass (79$)

le havre (75$)

caylus (47$)

Endeavor (50$)

Space alerte (65$)

Stone Age (55$)

Tobago (65$)

Kingsburg (60$)

Ra (25$)

giant (44$)

Chinatown (26$)

Campaign Manager 2008 (28)

Vasco da Gama (59)

In the Year of the Dragon (38$)

galaxie trucker (76$)
[/u]

Goa (45$)

Tinners' Trail (42$)

Metropolys (49$)

Shipyard (59$)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

game I own:

The Pilars of the Earth

Power Grid

Small World

Lost Cities

Big League Manager

Pandemic

Ticket to ride: Europe

Cranium

Carcassonne with all expension

Formul D

Puerto Rico

Lingretto

thrun and taxi

Mr jacl in new york

dominion :intrigue

citadelle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Lingretto but Ra is different than everything else you own and it meets your other criteria. I am not sure about playing it with two players though.

Stone Age is good, but it is similar to Pillars of the Earth. I like Stone Age better though.

Goa is also different than the other games on your list. It has a auction phase and a "use your actions phase". It scales well from 2-4 players.

All three games are easy to teach once someone knows how to play.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 2 of the ones you listed: Agricola and Galaxy Trucker

If you really like Puerto Rico then you'd like Agricola. I'm not fond of the rules however, as I found them a little confusing. Not to mention that the rule book is a wall of text and semi-tiny print (I'd read up on the rules here before actually playing). However, once the rules ARE understood, it's a fairly easy game to teach.

Galaxy Trucker would be my pick. The game is very easy to learn (at least when being taught), and there is next to no down time. The first phase of each round is a race to build your ship the "best" and the fastest, meaning that everyone is digging through the available parts at the same time. After the timer is up the cards are played and whoever is in the lead at the moment gets first dibs at the card (for better or for worse). Then you do the same thing over again, but with a bigger ship, and then one (or two?) more times.

Both games are ~$70usd I believe (though I'm sure you know that!). I think Galaxy Trucker would be a bit better playing 2p than Agricola though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no real recommendation for you as those games are not of the type i usually play (except Cosmic Encounter which i quite like) but in your other thread on Montreal gaming resources i linked to a website, espacejeux, where you can order most of those games for a lower price than the one you list, taxes included to boot. As you gave no answer to this previous thread, you might have missed it so far.

It might be worth to have a look at it and see if you can save enough to get an additional game compared to the place you're about to order from.

Hope it helps !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yoan bouillon
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thANK BUT I TALK TO THE GUT FROM ESPACE DE JEUX AND HE HAD PORR CHOICE FOR NOW

THANK DO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that's too bad then, i didn't know about their current stock.

I hope you enjoy the games you'll get tomorrow.

Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd choose from these four. For price, player numbers, different types of game, I think they're the best. Some of the others are very fun games that are a little different. eg. Galaxy Trucker. However the price quoted means there's better value elsewhere.

Endeavor (50$)

Ra (25$)

Campaign Manager 2008 (28)

Goa (45$)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa - Great game and out of print. That's a decent price so if you don't like it you'll be able to trade it.

Race for the Galaxy - Inexpensive, and I think that you'll like it. Those that do, can play a 100 games easily.

Agricola - hands down one of my favorite games. Much more replayable than Le Havre.

Kingsburg - I like it, but it isn't as deep as some of these other games. I also hear that the expansion really improves on it, so maybe you want to pass for now.

Ra - A good solid game, very different.

Galaxy Trucker - A fun game but expensive. The replayability is not as high

Space Alert - I'll say the same thing as for Galaxy Trucker. This is okay every now and then, but not constantly.

Brass - another very solid game along the lines of Ticket to Ride but much meatier. Your price for it though is very high in comparison.

Scaling to 5 players is hard, 6 is really hard. We almost never play 6 player games unless the game is really designed for 5-7 players. You are probably much better off splitting into 2 games of 3 players.

So if I had to pick top games it would be:
Agricola, Ra, and either Race for the Galaxy or Goa. I'd probably pick Goa. It's out of print and a better value. If they were both in print, I'd buy Race for the Galaxy, as you'll probably spend more time with it.

Warning: with me Race for the Galaxy was very difficult to learn. There is a lot of information to absorb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you mention, Agricola scales great from 2 to 5 and compares very well with your favorite games. Notre Dame is another game that works very well with 2 to 5 players and I think you would enjoy that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Immer
Germany
Saterland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
autumnweave wrote:

Kingsburg - I like it, but it isn't as deep as some of these other games. I also hear that the expansion really improves on it, so maybe you want to pass for now.

Yes and Yes. But the game without the expansion is fun, too. It is easy to explain, easy to setup.

Galaxy Trucker - much to expensive! It is a good game, please mention that the base game without the expasion is for 4 players only. We had much fun with this game.

Agricola can be a very complex game, if you don't like game setup like Arkham Horror maybe the game isn't a thing for you, too. We also had trouble with the rules the first times.

Space Alert - What a fun if you like coop games. It is fast and it has a very unique game mechanic. You have to plan your move before everything happens with limited time and after it you check if you survive or not. I would never try this game this with less that 3 players. Most fun is when you are exact 5. Ahh and beware this game is very loud!

Just for the game I played. Hope some infos helps you.

Ingo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa and Agricola and a few beers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thyme Ludwig
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montrealzoo wrote:

Race to the Galaxy (39$)

Cosmic Encounter (76$)

Agricola (56$)

Brass (79$)

Kingsburg (60$)

Ra (25$)

Galaxy Trucker (76$)

The ones I quoted are the one I recommend. The big thing I worry about is the high prices for some of these games. Of these the hardest to learn is Race to the Galaxy, followed by Brass. I should note that most of these games do NOT play 6 people, and Galaxy Trucker only plays 4. Cosmic Encounter is my favorite of these, but it needs the brand new expansion to play 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David N wrote:
Goa and Agricola and a few beers?

If that's an offer I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought of Around the World in 80 Days? It suits 6 players and is fun especially if you read the book. Great artwork too. Not very complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really doesn't work with two, but Battlestar Galactica has much different mechanics from anything you own and does well with 5 and 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Roach
United Kingdom
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list I suggest either Agricola or Le Havre and one or two from Kingsburg, Chinatown and Goa.

All the above seem to fit nicely with your current collection but each offer something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd remove Tinners Trail from your consideration - only plays 3 or 4 players.

Ra is a classic, IMO - an auction game that scales well, is relatively easy to explain, plays quickly, and is quite tense.

Caylus also scales very well from 2 to 5 and is very deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPM
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say old boy, it cannot be sheer coincidence that Agricola + Shipyard = $115.00 on the nose. They are superb games, and more, if you care to indulge in a wee dram of magical thinking, they are your destiny.

Cheerio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.