Subject: Exit Gate Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Thomas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the movement phase and I begin my turn in the second half of an OW location.

During my movement phase I return to Arkham through an appropriate gate. There are monsters there.

What happens next?
Do I have to fight/evade the monsters? And if so, when? During this movement phase (in which case before I get to close the gate in the Arkham Encounter phase)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Gómez Acosta
Spain
Castellon de la Plana
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first turn you return from OW, you don´t need to fight or evade any monster in Arkham.
In your Arkham Encounter phase you don´t have any encounter but you can try to close/seal the gate, and maybe retire the monster. If you can´t close/seal the gate or the simbol of the gate it´s different of the monster´s one, don´t worry, in next turn, you MUST fight/evade it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Only on the first turn back from a gate you do not have to deal with a monster. If, at any time, you pass a mythos phase after returning from a gate, you must deal with the monsters
Example: You come back through a gate on movement, as normal. You do not need to deal with monsters and, during Arkham Encounters, you may attempt to close/seal the gate.
BUT
If you return through an OW encounter (there are a few), then during the next movement phase you WILL have to either evade or fight the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously we run into this situation frequently - primarily because we've been playing incorrectly for sometime now that you do not have to fight or evade the monster prior to moving through the gate to the Otherworld - but my follow-on question is, can you fight the monster when you return and is that still considered the "movement" phase (i.e. it doesn't impact your ability to attempt to close/seal the gate in the encounter phase?) Also, if you decide not to close/seal (if something - say an annoying rumor is preventing sealing) you still must have an encounter in that location, correct? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You MAY engage the monster during phase 2, which is movement, if you return during phase 2. If you return during any other phase, you MUST fight the monster at the next movement phase.

This is independent of Phase 3, when you would attempt to close the gate.

As long as the gate is open, the location underneath does not exist. So no encounters for as long as it is open. If you fail to close it, you can just sit there (or move away and lose your explored marker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian - thank you, love your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
As long as the gate is open, the location underneath does not exist. So no encounters for as long as it is open. If you fail to close it, you can just sit there (or move away and lose your explored marker).

So just to clarify, if you do close it, you then have an encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, closing is your encounter for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Thomas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JSkellington Esq wrote:
...we've been playing incorrectly for sometime now that you do not have to fight or evade the monster prior to moving through the gate to the Otherworld...

What's the sequence of play when one moves onto a space that has a gate and a monster?
Am I correct in playing that:
Movement: Fight or evade monster(s)
Arkham Encounter: Sucked through gate to OW (but NOT delayed)
OW Encounter: Have an OW Encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JuggernautJ wrote:
JSkellington Esq wrote:
...we've been playing incorrectly for sometime now that you do not have to fight or evade the monster prior to moving through the gate to the Otherworld...

What's the sequence of play when one moves onto a space that has a gate and a monster?
Am I correct in playing that:
Movement: Fight or evade monster(s)
Arkham Encounter: Sucked through gate to OW (but NOT delayed)
OW Encounter: Have an OW Encounter

Yep, 100% correct. Keep following the phases and it will answer most of your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.