13 Posts

Groo: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Groo Lover
United States
flag msg tools
I have a friend that is wanting to sell his played copy of Groo: the Game with the expansion. However, I'm not sure what a fair price for it would be. It's in pretty good shape, but it has been played a lot. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest watching eBay. They were going for good money but being heavily played will lower its value. I originally bought my copy new when it first came out. Then later bought another copy to keep new since I'm such a Groo fanatic!

There's none on eBay right now but put up a saved search of "groo game" and see if any pop up. They are probably getting rare now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the expansion would also add to its value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tough to nail down the value for rare and out of print games like this.

A couple of years ago, my copy (with expansion, both opened but unplayed and in excellent condition) sold for $140 on eBay to an overseas buyer. Probably got lucky with that price... but there were other copies going for $100+ at the time and it wasn't that far out of line.

Although I love Groo, and the game looked rather fun, it's hard to argue with selling the game at that price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched a copy of the expansion go for $9 plus shipping on eBay. I was going to try and bid at the last minute, but I was out with the guys and got distracted.

I just wanted to share that it is possible to get these cards for less than an arm and a leg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnah. I have the original and just wanted the expansion. Dang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I met Sergio Aragonés at this past weekends Emerald City Comic Con. He was selling sealed copies of the base game for $60. I surprised at how much he was selling them for. I didn't realize it was a sought after game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best place to compare is ebay "... as any fool can plainly see", " I can plainly see that."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trailofdead wrote:
I met Sergio Aragonés at this past weekends Emerald City Comic Con. He was selling sealed copies of the base game for $60. I surprised at how much he was selling them for. I didn't realize it was a sought after game.

Assuming you did not buy a copy does that make you a 'man who couldn't' rather than a mendicant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
trailofdead wrote:

Assuming you did not buy a copy does that make you a 'man who couldn't' rather than a mendicant?

Actually I had no interest in the game...so that makes me a man who didn't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
KODT's LGS article on the game helped drive up the early price on this game. I got two copies with the expansions for under $40 total before the jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
How hard would it be to reprint it? It's 2 decks of cards…

I think it's a nice and humorous game, but it's a bit bland; the expansion would be nice, but I don't think it could be bought separately now. I got my copy some five or six years ago for a cheap price. $60 is definitely not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zimeon wrote:
How hard would it be to reprint it? It's 2 decks of cards…

I think it's a nice and humorous game, but it's a bit bland; the expansion would be nice, but I don't think it could be bought separately now. I got my copy some five or six years ago for a cheap price. $60 is definitely not worth it.

As long as the license could be renegotiated the components aren't that difficult to put together. It would be a simple enough game to reprint for any regular publisher, but the original publisher isn't exactly a "big name" in the board gaming world.

Is there really enough demand to make the effort though? I'd certainly buy a copy if it was reasonably priced, and there must be others in the same boat. A few bloated eBay prices don't necessarily mean they could sell enough copies to make a good profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.