Subject: what3david's homemade race (quicklings) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tawhit What

California
msg tools
Quicklings: (5/10)

"Now you see them...Now you don't!!!"

- When the enemy conquers one of your Regions, you have the CHOICE to escape to an adjacent Region you also occupy. If you do not occupy an adjacent Region return all Quickling tokens (NOT just ONE) from the conquered Region to the storage tray.
- 5 units
- It is important that everyone recognize it is a choice to escape. If the player wishes to be conquered then they may do so, losing JUST ONE Quickling Token like most other races. ONLY when cornered do Quicklings lose all the Tokens occupying that Region.
- Cornered = having no adjacent Region to escape to.
- Sorry if this is getting redundant I just want to be clear.

Interesting Special Power issues and Balance issues:

- Bivouacking: Take encampment back in hand when escaping and redeploy at the end of the conqueror's turn.
- Dragon Master: Dragon Master would be especially devastating to Quicklings if the enemy was able to corner the Quicklings, and subsequently use their Dragon to take their last Region with one token.
- Flying: Quicklings would be able to escape to any Region they occupy, not just one that is adjacent. This is based on the same concept as flying sorcerers.
- Fortified: Return the Fortress to the Storage Tray if abandoning a region.

- VS. Sorcerers: Quicklings treat the Sorcerers racial ability as unavoidable, therefore they CANNOT escape to an adjacent Region. I came to this conclusion after considering that Trolls in Lairs, Elves, and those Races in Fortresses are not protected from this power.

*I am still play testing this race, but I find it to pretty fun so far and am tweaking it as necessary*

I am looking for feedback of any sort. If you hate it please tell me why, and if you love it do so as well. If you think it okay, that is fine too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe I misunderstod... But this seems like a very inferior version of the elves to me whistle
Have you missed mentioning something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what3david wrote:
- It is important that everyone recognize it is a choice to escape. If the player wishes to be conquered then they may do so, losing JUST ONE Quickling Token like most other races. ONLY when cornered do Quicklings lose all the Tokens occupying that Region.
- Cornered = having no adjacent Region to escape to.

Still not quite clear: if "cornered," do they still get to choose to lose just one unit and redeploy the others, or must they lose all units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tawhit What

California
msg tools
Once cornered, they do not have a choice to lose just one unit. Only when they have an adjacent region to escape to do they have a choice to be conquered as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tawhit What

California
msg tools
It is similar to the elves, except that you have the option to never take your pieces off the board. You may essentially retreat and by retreating strengthen the defense of the region you are escaping into.

So each subsequent time you retreat your defenses get stronger and stronger. This would prevent an enemy from wiping through a bunch of lone tokens because each time you escape you would be adding +1 (or more) defense to the next region he desired to take by escaping to it.

Hope this makes it more clear, thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what3david wrote:
Once cornered, they do not have a choice to lose just one unit. Only when they have an adjacent region to escape to do they have a choice to be conquered as normal.

Flying loses much of its utility for Quicklings.

Not a major problem -- there are other combinations that are less than useful (I'm thinking Fortified Gypsies, for example) -- but a consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tawhit What

California
msg tools
Golux13 wrote:
what3david wrote:

Not a major problem -- there are other combinations that are less than useful (I'm thinking Fortified Gypsies, for example) -- but a consideration.

Please note in the small balance section, that quicklings would be able to escape to any region they occupy with flying. I came to this conclusion after considering how the sorcerers ability was able to be used with flying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Ahh, okey I knew I had missed something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what3david wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
what3david wrote:

Please note in the small balance section, that quicklings would be able to escape to any region they occupy with flying. I came to this conclusion after considering how the sorcerers ability was able to be used with flying.

That makes sense. Still not sure I like the race concept, but you did address that consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what3david wrote:

Perhaps I don't know my races and powers as well as I should. But why would somebody NOT choose to escape? I mean you are making a point that it's a choice (unless there is nowhere to escape to) But why make it optional? Where would there be an advantage not to escape if there is a region to escape to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tawhit What

California
msg tools
xofour wrote:
what3david wrote:

Perhaps I don't know my races and powers as well as I should. But why would somebody NOT choose to escape? I mean you are making a point that it's a choice (unless there is nowhere to escape to) But why make it optional? Where would there be an advantage not to escape if there is a region to escape to?

There are not many situations where you wouldn't choose to escape, but if you wanted to slow an opponents advance into your territory you may choose not to escape so he has to pay more tiles than just the region payment. If you constantly choose to escape, your opponent continually gets cheap conquests, if you wanted to make his conquests more costly you would subsequently choose not to escape.

Some people may never choose not to escape, but I thought to keep it fair and balanced for all, that they should have the option to choose. There are rare times where you gain an advantage by not escaping and losing a tile instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.