Subject: 4-5 PLAYER: Two questions about the pickup of wares and orders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Fjeld
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still we run into rule problems when playing Strada Romana. This time it concerns the pickup of wares and orders in a 4-5 player scenario.

1. Simoultaneous or independent pickup

First of all we were confused about whether we must simoultaneous pick up both the ware and the order, or if we can choose the pick up order ourselves. Thus in the latter case it's actually possible to gain a coin extra if one chooses to pick up a ware and a order of the same colour, and then choose to pick up the order first, scoring coins (including a coin for the untaken ware) and then picking up the ware. A natural follow up must be if the coin collection can happen whenever, or if it executed after move and pick up sequences are completed?

2. Active wagons

Can all moved wagons (active) be used to pick up wares and orders, or is it only the last active wagon which can be used for this purpose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Obert
Italy
Piossasco-Turin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will resume a turn of play, with some little tactical hints, hoping to clear your doubts.

At my turn I can make 3 steps, for one to three wagons. In example, I can move a single wagon of 3 steps, a wagons of one and a wagon of two steps, o move three wagons of one step. The last is my choice, I will move 3 wagons of one step.

Before to move the wagons, and only at that time, I can spend some coins for a special effect (the effects are cumulatives, the special effects will be applied to all the steps of the wagons). I don't spend money for that.

I move the wagon A of one step. If I stopped on a market, I can pick the relative good or the tile for that area. If I stop on a normal road (no market) I can pick only the tile for that area.
I go on a simple road, and I pick the yellow tile. Wagon A can't move for the rest of my turn, because it has taken the tile. I must to take one coin for each yellow cube on the markets. If I go over 5 coins, I must to change 5 of them in a Victory point (black token).

Now I make my second step with wagon B. I move it on a market but I don't want that good (because I had bet on B wagon, or I don't need of that colour, or just because I want to make more difficult for my opponents to pick that good).

At the end I make my third step with wagon C. I go on another market and I pick the yellow cube, lowering the value of the yellow tiles in play, and making a full yellow contract.

I refill cubes and tiles in play. End of my turn.

Moving the C wagon I cleared the way for the B wagon, my secret winning bet, so the next turn I will use my 3 steps only for it (or four steps, paying three coins at the starts of my turn).

I hope it's useful: if not just ask me, or you can read other post with similar questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the above post Walter, but am still a bit confused.

Can I move 3 wagons, each one space and take:

Wagon A - a cube
Wagon B - a tile
Wagon C - a cube or tile.

Or can wagon C not take anything, because I've already taken a cube and a tile with wagons A and B?

So in a four player game, can each wagon moved take a tile and/or a cube, or are you only allowed one cube and one tile max per turn of your three spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Obert
Italy
Piossasco-Turin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
C can't take anything because
A --> cube
B --> tile

In 4 (and 5) players game, it's only allowed take one cube and one tile max per turn of your three spaces.

I hope this can helps you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wallover wrote:
C can't take anything because
A --> cube
B --> tile

In 4 (and 5) players game, it's only allowed take one cube and one tile max per turn of your three spaces.

I hope this can helps you.

Thank you very much kind sir. That's how I played it, but wanted to make sure. Love the game by the way. It's a lot of fun and absolutely beautiful, inside and out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Obert
Italy
Piossasco-Turin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, enjoy it. Don't forget to try optional rules:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94552/strada-romana-op...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wallover wrote:
Thank you, enjoy it. Don't forget to try optional rules:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94552/strada-romana-op...

Oh wow sweet. I totally missed those. Thanks so much.

One more question if you don't mind. How do you break ties at the end of the game? I didn't see anything in the rules about it, unless I missed it somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Obert
Italy
Piossasco-Turin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, a tie-brealer is missing. I prefer break ties in three subsequent steps, applying the first matching condition:
- the winner is the player with more complete contracts (scored or not)
- the loser is the player with more broken contracts (-1 point for each lonely cube and tile)
- the winner is the player who played last

Tell me if you liked optional rules! Ciao, WO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wallover wrote:
I agree with you, a tie-brealer is missing. I prefer break ties in three subsequent steps, applying the first matching condition:
- the winner is the player with more complete contracts (scored or not)
- the loser is the player with more broken contracts (-1 point for each lonely cube and tile)
- the winner is the player who played last

Tell me if you liked optional rules! Ciao, WO

Sounds great and is pretty much what we did. Only I'd add, whoever has the most money as the third result and then go to whoever played last.

Thanks again my friend. I really appreciate a designer who keep up with things here on the geek. It's very much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.