Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourate sumo wrestlers, 25 time tournament winner, Asashoryu is retiring.

http://www.sumotalk.com/news.htm

crycrycry

Yes, he is a stroppy dude, and caused a few fusses. (the lastest being a dozy, and the reason he is 'retiring') But darn it, his sumo was awesome. He would usually have a couple of spectacular wins each tournament.

Now there is only one yokosuna, (grand champion) left. And while Hakuho's sumo is flawless, (and to be honest, he is a much better yokosuna, from a dignity point of view) Asa's sumo had more flare, and he was a bit more entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
This helps if you know nothing about sumo like me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Rudy. I can never get those youtube links to work.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sumo association is SUPER strict about that sort of thing, so are the Japanese police for that matter. A couple of sumo (including the guy in the cartoon I think) got caught with maijuana last year. And it was all over the Japanese news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sumo is far too under appreciated in the West and even less understood. It's all to common to think of these athletes as fat men, but there is tremendous skill and strength required to be good.

Nice post and thanks for the video link too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Banichi wrote:
I can never get those youtube links to work.laugh

They usually don't run for me either, but if you click on them a second time, the actual YouTube page will open in a new window. That's if you're using Internet Explorer presumably.
This is also good because you don't have to stay on this particular page to wait for the video to load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:
Sumo is far too under appreciated in the West and even less understood. It's all to common to think of these athletes as fat men, but there is tremendous skill and strength required to be good.

Very true. I've gotten the funny look, and had the "fat guys in nappies" line thrown at me a few times when I've told people I'm a sumo fan.

We get the NHK broadcast on sky tv and they generally do quite a good job of explaining what is going on.(there is an english language option)

I've managed to convert a few doubters by getting them over to watch a couple of evenings worth of sumo. When people start to understand what the wrestlers are trying to do, they start to apreciate the techniques they are using to do it. Once you see someone getting into the pre bout buildup you can see you have a convert.laugh

It's a pitty there arn't more BGG sumo fans, a chit chat sumo thread that kicked into life to yack about each basho would be kind of groovy.

@De Debil: Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go next time I try a Youtube link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:

Nice post and thanks for the video link too!

Sumo wrestlers are appreciated as pass blockers...it's all about pushing people around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
Sumo wrestlers are appreciated as pass blockers...it's all about pushing people around!

Oh, there's a bit more to it than just pushing people around.

http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/kimarite/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
So Chris, where do we start? I do have the Sky NHK channel, and watched a few Sumo bouts a few years ago. I found it interesting but understood nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.