6 Posts

StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: "All opposing ... lose attack capability" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vlad Lem
msg tools
mbmb
What does this mean, for example when you lose Lockdown?
Does it only mean that the enemy FLU loses attack capability, OR does it mean that additionally, all supporting units would lose their attack capability?
For example, we have a battle between a Ghost and a Marine supported by a Wraith. If the Ghost uses Lockdown, does the Wraith lose its support value of +1 attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if I'm understanding right (It's been a while since I've seen lockdown) if the FLU can't attack then any support units can not support.

If there's no attack there's nothing TO support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether the front-line unit can attack or not is irrelevant. The mechanical unit in this case is being used as support, not front-line.

However, page 34 of the rules makes it clear that support units only add their support value if they are capable of targeting the opposing front line unit. If they have no attack capability (as is the case if the opponent used Lockdown) then they add no support value.

Basically, units are classified as having "ground attack capability," "air attack capability," both, or neither. When you use Lockdown, all opposing units of the appropriate type are temporarily counted as having neither.

If this affects a unit in the front-line, then he will not inflict casualties no matter what his strength is (even strength added by support units that weren't locked down won't help).

If this affects a support unit, the unit simply no longer contributes it's support value to the total strength. It is still part of the skirmish and can still qualify for Specialty Support Reinforcement cards. Although, I don't believe that any units targeted by lockdown have specialty support anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Lem
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks a lot, that was my exact question. It is very important, because that adds a lot more use to any of those cards like Lockdown, Dark Swarm and Disruptive Web.
Surely it doesn't matter when the front-line unit can't attack, but that of course wasn't my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
msg tools
mb
MasterDinadan wrote:

If this affects a unit in the front-line, then he will not inflict casualties no matter what his strength is (even strength added by support units that weren't locked down won't help).

You mean it won't help because there are no standard combatcards with less then 2 defense?
But if there were, it would help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TaLuS wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

You mean it won't help because there are no standard combatcards with less then 2 defense?
But if there were, it would help?

You can get more than one support strength from supporting units, so the minimum defense on a combat card is irrelevant.
If the front-line unit does not have the ability to attack, you can't inflict a casualty, even if your support units have the ability to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.