BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Looking for a shrink-wrapping solution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Greetings All!

OK, I'm going to get my game's boxes professionally produced / tightwrapped. But I will then apply my own stickers to each box.

Once I have the parts in the box and the whole thing ready-to-go, I thought it might be professional to have each game shrink-wrapped. (It would certainly help prevent parts from accidentally getting separated from the game.)

Are there solutions for this sort of thing that one could do in one's basement? Or what sort of business should I hunt for to find this sort of thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ferris
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you can do this yourself with a bit of practice. I've shrink wrapped a few things at home myself; not games though, but similar sized boxes.

You'll need:
--a big roll of shrink wrap (like these: http://www.shrinkpackagingwrap.com/toys-shrink-wrap-c-33.htm...) or individual shrink wrap bags/sleeves if you can find them in your size
--a nice, hot hair dryer
--(optional) a soldering iron

Follow any package directions on the shrink wrap, but it usually just consists of cutting a piece that fits your box with a few inches of excess and wrapping it around the box.

If you have a soldering iron, you can get a slightly neater effect by using it to seal two ends of the wrap closed. Then cut off the excess. If you don't have one, you can still do the shrink wrapping, but it might not look quite as clean.

Then it's usually just a matter of taking the hair dryer (on its hottest setting) and blowing it all over the shrink-wrapped box until it shrinks and fits tightly without any bubbles or wrinkles. Be careful not to touch the dryer to the wrap or you might burn it or tear it. But get as close as possible.

This would probably be a time-consuming process, at least 5-10 minutes per box, but maybe you could get some friends (and their hair dryers!) together and make a shrink wrapping party out of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to do exactly what Nick describes at an electronics/computer store to re-wrap returns. (Store is since out of business, but trust me, a lot of stores re-wrap... I've gotten many re-wrapped items from online board game retailers.) The only difference is we used a hot-wire cutter that automatically cut and seals the end so a re-wrap only took a minute or two of hot air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a reasonable price for the sealer and heat gun you'll need http://www.aplasticbag.com/itemdesc.asp?product=Starter+Kit+...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always use gobs of ugly tape like the thrift stores use! (DUCKS quickly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Travis's link is good- i've got the 12" economy package from Uline.com, it works very well also. figure out how big of a bar sealer you need (it seals and effectively cuts the shrinkwrap ends) and you'll generally save a little buying the heatgun/bar sealer/shrinkwrap roll as a bundle. using the pouches can bypass the need for a line sealer, but is also more expensive per item wrapped, so it depends on your intended quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Uline rocks!

You might also inquire at your local Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery if they are closing as the video stores use the shrink wrap heat guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.