Popular Tags: [View All]
Aphicha Phawapaphawin
Thailand
Rat Burana
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About this mechanic, the Crayon Rail System, I want to try one and add one of the games mechanic into my collection.

There are only Mayfair Games's Empire Builder and Martian Rails available here.

Which game I should buy? Which game is better? Which game has more replayability rate. If both of them are not good enough, can you all suggest me one?

Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Finberg
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I personally find empire builder not incredibly fun. I've only finished 5 games of martian rails so far, and they have been pretty decent. It's much faster to teach EB, since it has no oddities and fewer terrains.

For play, I'd personally rate them something like
South America Rails (computer only?)
Iron Dragon
Eurorails
Australia
India
Nippon
Africa
Martian
Lunar
Empire Builder

I haven't played Russia enough to comment on it, and I'm probably spacing on a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Martian Rails yet. Empire Builder was the first of the crayon rail games and is simpler compared to the others I've played (Russia, Euro, India, Australia, Iron Dragon). It's rated a 2.7 for weight on BGG. I see Martain Rails is rated as a 3.6 so it must have more rules. So if you're looking for a fairly light weight game so you can just get to know the crayon rail mechanic, go with EB. If you're looking for a more complex game that includes that mechanic, go with MR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
South America Rails (computer only?)
Iron Dragon
Eurorails
Australia
India
Nippon
Africa
Martian
Lunar
Empire Builder

Is there any particular area you are interested in? That might help. My favorite, by far, is the original Empire Builder without Mexico. I would probably rank them as follows:

Empire Builder (without Mexico)
Iron Dragon
Australian Rails, India Rails, Lunar Rails, China Rails
EuroRails
Nippon Rails, British Rails
Empire Builder (with Mexico), North American Rails
Russian Rails

I haven't really decided where Martian fits into all of this. Probably about the same place as Eurorails.

I guess the South American listed above is computer only. I've never seen it. African rails is a PnP game -- as are several others that are here on the geek if you want to try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Recommendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aphicha Phawapaphawin
Thailand
Rat Burana
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone.

According to all above, I think EB should be the gateway to Crayon Rail, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.