Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: of [+] stalingrad [+] hell [+] [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavlov's house, with a defence of 4, and only allowing 1 formation per side to maneuvre to contest it, is almost impossible for the Germans to conquer...

Unless...

-you can manage to either get additional formations in there (but the Soviets can do that too!)

-whack in a load of hero cards (the Soviets can do that too!)

-Manage to get two depletions against the soviet formation and destroy it (the soviets can do that too!)

-Get more units in there than the Soviets for that extra break die (but the Soviets can get their units in there too)

-you pray to the cubed randomiser gods to give the enemy low low rolls!

..so it seems that it's one of the hardest buildings to take, and it's unlikely you'll be grabbing that next Volga card!

Anyone have any techniques as the German player to be in there with a chance?

I must admit I did win with the Germans and took Pavlov's House, but it was a real fluke: My pity die came up a six and the five Soviet dice were all less than 6.. ha ha!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rare to take this building on the first couple of turns. Usually I'm able to take it only after gathering several infernos over a couple of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaahhh infernos! So that's the way!! and the soviets rarely get enough buckets to steal one inferno. Nice one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougherty
United States
Philadelphia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Having played the Germans through most of the game's playtesting, I can back up what was said above. Infernos are the way to go for tough buildings like Pavlov's House or the Grain Elevator. If possible, I prefer to spend a turn setting the place on fire before going in to take it for real. If you're doing that, depletions can be another good strategy- if you attack Pavlov's House, the Soviets are likely to counter with one of their good formations. If you can deplete it near the end of the battle and get rid of it, they might not have something that good next turn.

It can also be worth keeping around a combined-arms Kampfgruppe, if you've got one, to handle the assault. Being able to play cards from both doctrines can help.

-Jeff D.
HoS Lead Playtester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Colin,

I am glad you appreciate the difficulty of Pavlov's House, in real life the House was a Fortress which broke every German Division sent against it. The house was in the middle of the densest part of the city which made it very difficult to get to and held by fanatical soviet fighters. I had the make the House very tough to take!

Jeff is right Pavlov's House is going to take several turns to break and Infernos are ultimatly the key!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aman Aman
msg tools
I suggest a 2-turn process:

First Turn: attack P'sH with a formation you can afford to lose, but use every Inferno opportunity you have. Try to get at least two to stick before you go to the break test.

Now, of course if you beat your opponant on the Pity Dice, then problem is solved! laugh

Second Turn: Attack P'sH with two formations - the first can be a weak one, to make it look like you're trying another Pity Dice attempt. Then play Overrun card(s), and put in a couple of killer formations to swing the dice your way. And/or save a really good German Hero for the last play before the Break Test. This willl hopefully get you a 2-4 dice advantage.

Finally, remember one of the best tactics of the game is to carefully choose which Buildings to Attack in what order. Distracting your opponant with other Attacks may make him spread out and put a weak Formation at P'sH assuming it can hold its own. But if you don't force the Soviet to make hard choices about defending Formations he can focus too much on defending P'sH and that's giving him too much space.

Then again, this can be said about any series of attacks, more are better.

The nice thing is that when you do take it, you're at the Volga!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ Schroeder

Prairie du Sac
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had absolutely no trouble losing it on turn one. My NKVD unit was destroyed by a German airstrike card off the campaign deck which left me with a bunch of weak units. Pull all 2 and 3 cards to play on your 1 initiative units with inexperienced commissars... start off with 4 battle intensity, roll 3,2,1,1.... Not pretty. Oh and then as we worked our way through the sawmill and two other buildings, two of the others were taken and turned out to be Volga River cards in the post combat phase. My first game at this, it seemed that luck plays a huge roll in this game. I think I made very solid plays, but I got annihilated in three turns. While a bit of fun, I don't think I will play it again soon. A couple of hours of play and essentially the game runs itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.