Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just received this last night, opened it, and got it all compartmentalized and such.

This is my fifth big box from Alea, and umpteenth board game, but the one thing I noticed, comparing to other Aleas, is that both the cards and the cardboard pieces seemed... a bit more flimsy than in past games.

Anyone else notice this?

The cards were especially noticeable to me, but maybe it's just their small size, and maybe I haven't gone back to compare them to say, Notre Dame's.

Anyway, not a huge deal, but, just something I thought I'd comment on.

Doesn't really change how excited I am to play, but it probably means I'll be a bit more anal about how I handle all the bits more so than normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrhaydel wrote:
Anyone else notice this?

They are made on Ravenburger's factory in the Czech Republic, which they have used for some years now.

Notre Dame was manufactured in Germany, but the Treasure Chest in Czech and it is impossible to see any difference between the original cards in Notre Dame and the new expansion.

So while the quality is certainly lower than in the Golden days of alea's production, it hasn't been lowered for this particular game.

Alea has never made sufficient sales, so the Ravensburger has kept them on a tight budget for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten my copy of Macao yet (picking it up on the weekend), but I remember In the Year of the Dragon had cardboard components that seemed thinner than I was used to from Alea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this up, and it seems fine to me in all respects. Even the board laid flat with just a very light backbend when unfolding it (I sometimes have to fight with alea boards; Taj Mahal still will not cooperate).

So, no, doesn't seem flimsy or different at all from prior alea games, except perhaps for a better board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
I just picked this up, and it seems fine to me in all respects. Even the board laid flat with just a very light backbend when unfolding it (I sometimes have to fight with alea boards; Taj Mahal still will not cooperate).

I ripped my Alea Taj board in half the first time I played due to over-backbending it! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree but want to add that the color scheme is terrible as its very difficult to tell 2 of the colors apart especially from across a table, and then the type on the cards is small enough that its unreadable unless its right in front of you. Sad to see something like this slipping by an Alea production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks to me as alea has deliberately made an effort to help the color blinds, which are having so much trouble with the standard colors (red/green in particular).

Guess it is impossible to please everyone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take no issue with attempting to help the colorblind, but when you can't tell the red/purple board/card markings apart from across the kitchen table then you aren't doing well for anyone colorblind or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
easterly1 wrote:
I take no issue with attempting to help the colorblind, but when you can't tell the red/purple board/card markings apart from across the kitchen table then you aren't doing well for anyone colorblind or not.

True. But maybe a little better light over your table would help?
I don't think the colors are that´bad:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mik

i have very good light over my kitchen table, and RARELY have color issues as a result, however the red/purple issue did cause both players sitting opposite of the macao district to have issues. Granted once we figured out that the colors where parochial it did reduce the need to lean over the table. That said it is not what i've come to expect from an Alea production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw: i think this image is more representative of what it's like to look at this game from across the table
with the colors and the fine print on the cards.

(edit) well maybe not the image as shown in my post but if you click on it and enlarge ti...blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
mrhaydel wrote:
Anyone else notice this?

They are made on Ravenburger's factory in the Czech Republic, which they have used for some years now.

Notre Dame was manufactured in Germany, but the Treasure Chest in Czech and it is impossible to see any difference between the original cards in Notre Dame and the new expansion.

Maybe for your copy, but I was able to notice a slight hue difference in the card backs. It doesn't really effect the game, because the cards are never side-by-side, but there are differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just punched and played this tonight, totally agree with the original post. It all feels very much lower quality than most games, including RGG's normal effort.

It was especially noticeable having punched Stone Age and Arkham Horror at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.