Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Haley
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a bit fuzzy (quelle surprise!) concerning when one can/cannot exploit following an amphibious invasion. In Section 10.25, the third bullet point begins "If the active player transports more than 2 ground units and an HQ..." and describes a situation where the attacker uses an assault force and a follow-up force to conduct an invasion during a general offensive. It states that if the attack clears all defenders from the hex, "any ARM and CAV units from the assault group and follow-up group may use exploitation movement and combat." The conditional phrase that starts the section and the wording thereafter suggests that exploitation is allowed only if the attack includes a follow-up force. Suppose, however, one successfully assaults a beach hex with two units, including at least one armor, without a follow-up group during a general offensive. Can the armored unit(s) in the assault group conduct exploitation? This is permitted in the case of an unopposed landing (10.24), but the rules say nothing specifically about whether assaulting units not accompanied by follow-up units can conduct exploitation following an opposed landing. How do other players (or the designer) interpret this rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Pielhau
Germany
Luedenscheid
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, that if you only have an assault force and no follow-up force and you clear the assaulted hex you are allowed for an exploitation move/attack with the one ARM unit of your assault force. Rules reference: second paragraph of 10.25: "Amphibious assault combat follows the standard ground combat rules (9.0), with the following exception: (...) Please also note, that the assault force must contain at least one INF or MAR unit, so there can only be one ARM unit in your assault force.
But I may be wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
I agree with this interpretation : ARM and CAV can exploit, but only in a general offensive if the hex was empty, and only if the hex is a beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander A Person
msg tools
Jugger wrote:
I would say, that if you only have an assault force and no follow-up force and you clear the assaulted hex you are allowed for an exploitation move/attack with the one ARM unit of your assault force. Rules reference: second paragraph of 10.25: "Amphibious assault combat follows the standard ground combat rules (9.0), with the following exception: (...) Please also note, that the assault force must contain at least one INF or MAR unit, so there can only be one ARM unit in your assault force.
But I may be wrong...

I have been playing with this interpretation. A single ARM unit can exploit out of the beach hex in a regular (non-generall offensive) landing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin gradivus
msg tools
Quote:

But I may be wrong...

First, remember that you can only transport 2Units and an HQ to a non-beach hex and they may not move beyond that hex period...so we are really only discussing beach hexes here.

Second, remember that there is no eplotation in Naval Impulses so we are only talking about General Offensive Impulses.

Third, if a Para drops in they hex, then a Mar or Inf on an oppossed landing is not a requirement so you can use two Arm/Cav.

So you can exploit with up to two Arm/Cav from a beach hex unless there is a follow up group which allows exploitation by as much Arm/Cav as you have LC.

Assuming the Ameicans in 1943, best case scenario is two Arm up to 4 hexes away from the beach hex and 6 additional Arm up to two hexes from the beach hex. But really, how often do you get the best case scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.