Popular Tags: [View All]
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to post this in the thread Non-gamers' reaction to gaming, but I was afraid I might derail the thread. So, instead, I have created this spin off thread for tangential discussion. I was motivated by this post:

afcgamer3 wrote:
I like to cut to the chase with some people and ask "You think I am weird for playing boardgames, don't you?"

They usually say yes, so then I ask, "What do you do in your spare time?"

Some people have good hobbies and others watch TV of play some sport, etc. That is where I point out the many positive attributes of boardgames over sports, TV, solitary hobbies and unhealthy activities. That usually makes them step back and think or they get mad, but at least they don't make fun of me anymore. (that is, if I give them good reasons)

It seems to me that difference in attitudes between gamers and non-gamers is due, at least in part, to the difference between hobbyists and non-hobbyists. Personally, I feel that if a person has a hobby of their own, be it gardening or cycling or whatever, there is at least a chance of them accepting games as a normal activity.

Of course, this begs the question, what is a real hobby? If you don't regard flipping channels as a hobby, are you just being a snob? I think that a hobby has to require some sort of passion and effort. Watching everyday TV is not a hobby, but purposefully seeking out and watching (or collecting) Jimmy Stewart films may be a hobby.

So, to me, the real question to ask a non-gamer is not merely, "What do you do in your spare time?" but "What do you do in your spare time that requires passion and effort, either by yourself (e.g. gardening, woodcarving) or with others (sports, playing music)?"

Edit: This thread now has a companion geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Have you ever gotten your fellow non-gaming hobbyists to enjoy games?
I have no other hobbies besides games.
I do my other hobbies alone.
I never asked.
I asked and they said no.
I asked, they said yes, but they did not enjoy playing games.
I asked, they said yes, and they enjoyed playing games.
      44 answers
Poll created by native_son
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worked both ways. I've gotten involved with the Sports Car Club of America, working Timing and Scoring at races and trials, thanks to a former student who I originally got into miniatures wargaming. He also got me into paintball by asking to have a paintball game as part of his bachelor party some years ago. And,as anyone who's seen my posts or checked my gallery can tell, I'm into photography. Of course, I'm also a vocalist but that doesn't show up well in the gallery!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten many non-gaming hobbyists to play and enjoy some games, but I've never made any non-gaming hobbyists into gaming-hobbyists. They are think that hobby is weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread now has a companion geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I've gotten many non-gaming hobbyists to play and enjoy some games, but I've never made any non-gaming hobbyists into gaming-hobbyists. They are think that hobby is weird.

You need the minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer204 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

You need the minis!

This was most likely in jest but there is some truth to it. I've been a long time RPG'er and casual board gamer. I've asked others about their hobbies and to try gaming and have gotten all the possible results.

When I got into Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures I began to have to ask less and began having people ask me about my hobby. There is nothing like a little eye candy to attract curiosity. Whenever playing a skirmish game of miniatures I'd thump this on the table just for display purposes.

Lots of people would ask about it, and then check out the other colorful miniatures. A few even became fans of the game after playing a few demos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm the opposite. I'd be just as scared away by minis as by LARPing. I used to play some D&D, but if my group had ever dressed in costume, I would have slowly backed away and then made a run for it. I'm not a wargamer, but if I was I think that I'd be similarly scared away by minis.

On the plus side, with minis and LARPing, the people who DO inquire about your hobby are more likely to get into it. I would guess that minis are more polarizing than Euros. Lots of people may inquire about a Euro and then exhibit mostly indifference or casual acceptance, whereas minis are more likely to induce very positive or very negative reactions. Your hobby is more likely to repel the average person, but also more likely to attract a new enthusiast. I would probably have more luck getting someone to try one of my Euros, but have less luck making them as enthusiastic as me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We often take games along to Esperanto events and have played with (what we might loosely call) real gamers, casual gamers, and non-gamers from various countries. E.g. over New Year's at JES we played a lot of Tantrix, Friday the 13th and various others, including Dixit, which is fun to play with a common language but different national cultures/backgrounds.

Other than that, I don't recall other specific hobbies per se that I interested people from, but I've certainly interested plenty of friends and coworkers in general over the years. E.g. recently we have got a friend into gaming who had resisted for years, but for some reason Blokus really grabbed her, and now she's played a half dozen other titles with us as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most teens list "shopping" as their #1 hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
We often take games along to Esperanto events and have played with (what we might loosely call) real gamers, casual gamers, and non-gamers from various countries. E.g. over New Year's at JES we played a lot of Tantrix, Friday the 13th and various others, including Dixit, which is fun to play with a common language but different national cultures/backgrounds.

Other than that, I don't recall other specific hobbies per se that I interested people from, but I've certainly interested plenty of friends and coworkers in general over the years. E.g. recently we have got a friend into gaming who had resisted for years, but for some reason Blokus really grabbed her, and now she's played a half dozen other titles with us as well.

I didn't realize there were still Esperanto events. I would expect that group to be more open to new things and hobbies considering that Esperanto is also a niche group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only other hobby is unicycling and I don't have many friends that unicycle. Unicycling with someone just makes me feel like I belong in a circus but alone it is just fun. So I haven't met any unicyclists that I have tried to get into gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unicycling is cool, and I'll probably buy a unicycle someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not a wargamer, but if I was I think that I'd be similarly scared away by minis.

Be afraid! Be very afraid!!! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne McCaul
United States
Norton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, that I think of boardgames as normal as it gets.

Don't get me wrong, I have encountered the same people who think anything but Monopoly is weird, but for the most part, any reaction I get to boardgamming must just blow by me. Which is undoubtably because of my other hobby: Lego.

I got back into Lego about 10 years ago after stumbling across BrikWarsonline. Man did I fall in love with that, hell I went out of my way and typeset the manual for a nicer feel. Go ahead, download the 2001 PDF, that my work. Now, if you think you get flak over boardgames, try imaging the flak over Lego. A child's building toy. And I'm using it to build battlefields and combatants with it.

That's not an uphill battle. That's an uphill slaughter though a pyroclastic downflow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used legos on occasion and here's a great set up at FlatCon 2009 using legos Clone Wars (Tm) figures. Not my rules or game but quite impressive!

Evil Wayne wrote:
I have to say, that I think of boardgames as normal as it gets.

Don't get me wrong, I have encountered the same people who think anything but Monopoly is weird, but for the most part, any reaction I get to boardgamming must just blow by me. Which is undoubtably because of my other hobby: Lego.

I got back into Lego about 10 years ago after stumbling across BrikWarsonline. Man did I fall in love with that, hell I went out of my way and typeset the manual for a nicer feel. Go ahead, download the 2001 PDF, that my work. Now, if you think you get flak over boardgames, try imaging the flak over Lego. A child's building toy. And I'm using it to build battlefields and combatants with it.

That's not an uphill battle. That's an uphill slaughter though a pyroclastic downflow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.