Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d been going back and forth on this for a while, but when I saw that Coolstuffinc’s inventory of Tundra Orcs vs. Phoenix Elves had dropped to 7, I had to make my move. I had purchased my first pair of starter sets from the Plaid Hat Games website, in order to get two copies of the Khan Queso promo card. But once I got it, and realized how good it was, I immediately started persuading myself why it might be a good idea to get a second set of starters.

Here are my reasons:

1. Full Deck-Building set:

While this isn’t technically true, getting two copies of each starter gives you, for all practical purposes, a full deck-building set. I say not technically true because two copies of the Guild Dwarves vs. Cave Goblins gives you x8 Engineers and x8 Berserkers, and you could have up to x10 in your deck.

But let’s get honest: you’re not going to run x10 engineers or x10 berserkers. Running a goblin deck that’s more than half berserkers defeats the entire point of the goblin deck. And you’ll either have to feed half of your berserkers into your magic pile to summon the other half, or you’ll be dumping your remaining 0-cost units into the magic pile, which would make 5 of your event cards (RUSH and RAGE) useless, since they trigger off 0-cost units.

A dwarf deck with x10 engineers might fare marginally better, but it would still be redundant. Without a fair amount of defenders to protect the engineers, they’re going to get knocked off quickly, and with 1 power and a tendency to focus on walls, they’re not going to be doing much killing on their own. Anything you meant to accomplish with x10 engineers or x10 berserkers could probably be accomplished with x8 of either, and it would give your deck some much-needed flexibility.

Colby has also mentioned that future expansions will typically come with x5 of each common, so it seems like this might be a general rule: get two copies, get a full deck-building set. Done.

2. More 1 v. 1 Options

When playing the game with people who don’t own their own copies of the Summoner Wars starter sets, if you own both starter sets, there are six possible matchups, which yield twelve variations if you and your opponent switch sides after each game.

But with two copies of each starter set, the number of possible matchups increases to ten (with 16 variations). Also, if you have an opponent that insists one of the races is unbalanced or overpowered (though I can’t imagine anyone ever making such an accusation) you have the option of playing a mirror match. Done.

3. Many, many more 2 v. 2 Options

Ignoring table position (which particular opponent you are sitting across from), a single copy each starter yields 3 possible matchups, with yield 12 possible variations for each player (since there are four spots at the table).

But once you add a second set of starters into the mix, and allow the possibility of teams playing matching races, the number of possible matchups increases to 39, with something like 108 variations (I’ll admit that by this point, my math is stretched to the limit). But if you want to take table position into account, that probably doubles the number of variations, or something. Whatever. It’s a lot.

Admittedly, if you and your teammate decided to play the same race, you would need to put markers on your units to keep track of which unit belonged to which player. But can you imagine the chaotic glory of running two goblin decks, side by side? Done.

There they are: my reasons for buying a second set of starters. I’d like to make it clear that a second set of starters is by no way necessary. Each starter set is a rich and complete game in itself, and both starter sets together produce a level of diversity and variation that would be difficult to exhaust. But if you’re one of those crazy, more-is-better kinds of gamers (and I honestly don’t know where I would find any of those), then maybe you’ll find my reasons compelling. And you’ll go buy more starters. And then the expansions will come out. And then more expansions. And then there’ll be a giant tournament, and you’ll be like, "Hey, you’re that guy that wrote that thing that persuaded me to buy another set of starters."

And I’ll be like, "Outta my way, I’m running a hot dwarf/gobbo deck with x10 engineers and x10 berserkers!"

I will come in dead last.

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully endorse this post!

In all seriousness I didn't try to design the sets so that you would NEED 2. I tried to build the decks in a way that I thought would be completely competitive with just one set. So don't feel like you have to get 2 to be competitive. But I'm all for those who want 2. Every sale helps at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirror matches (and same faction teams) sound like pretty good reasons to me. I also lost one of my PE archers a long time ago. I think it's time.

The Cave Goblins especially seem prepared for a same-faction team, because Goblin Horde Attack specifically says friendly, and not you control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
Mirror matches (and same faction teams) sound like pretty good reasons to me. I also lost one of my PE archers a long time ago. I think it's time.

The Cave Goblins especially seem prepared for a same-faction team, because Goblin Horde Attack specifically says friendly, and not you control.

Mirror matches are the perfect way to play that person who always thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the board and complains that your units are just better.

Wait until you can have things like Guild Dwarf Summoner and crew versus a different Guild Dwarf Summoner and his crew. I played one of these yesterday and it was buckets of fun. By the end of the game there were no walls on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The WyldeIrishMan wrote:
Quote:
Wait until you can have things like Guild Dwarf Summoner and crew versus a different Guild Dwarf Summoner and his crew. I played one of these yesterday and it was buckets of fun. By the end of the game there were no walls on the board.

Now, Colby...that's just not fair (at least, not without photos and what not)!

Seconded!

(grumbles about game designers teasing loyal fans)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
Do you seriously believe that BGG ratings matter that much?
mbmbmbmbmb
Third-ed! (is that a word?)
Bring on the new races and the new summoners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally replied to this ages ago, but didn't actually pull the trigger until last week. Gave me two new mats [the one I used more of the two was getting in pretty bad shape after ~70 games], and the ability to run mirror matches and same-faction teams.

Thoughts:

The often under-appreciated Shaman is ridiculous against other TO's.

My plan of getting some clear FFG sleeves and 7 different colors of the Ultra Pro ones was pretty awesome, in hindsight. I've got a "clear" deck for each of the new 4 I just got, and have the PE in red, TO in Blue, GD in Yellow, and CG in Green. Black and White are awaiting the Fallen Kingdom and Vanguards. I've got Orange too, just cause.

I can now run a small 8 person tourney with my stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.