Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stine
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play Dominion on BSW I use the random set that includes all the cards available. One of the cards is 'Minion', a card which I'm on the fence about.
It seems that when there is a 2-player game which includes this card, but no moat or chapel, the player that gets the majority of this card will almost always win the game. For two reasons:

1. your hand will get screwed with way more than your opponent's

2. your opponent will have an endless supply of 2-points, which when exhausted he can then play his last minion in his hand to get 4 new cards.

Moat will obviously block the screwing action, when it's played, and chapel will allow a player to reduce his cards to only good ones, thus minimizing the screwage implimented.

Does anyone else feel this way about this card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Without the benefit of additional +Coins Action Cards or some form of deck thinning, simply getting more Minions than the opponent by no means guarantees victory because all the Coppers and Estates in your deck - not to mention whatever else you bought before buying Minions - make it easy for a Minion chain to be broken. Even if a player does get a 4-Minion hand, that just means that their next few hands will be more Minion-poor. And shuffling your deck while you have several Minions in play is brutal. (Because of that last part, countering Minions with Minions actually doesn't work so well, as you end up cycling your opponent's Minions back in more quickly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minion is one of those cards that gets more powerful the more of them you have.

Whether that makes it more powerful than some other strategy, depends on the other strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Minion is its own defence. If you get Minion'd, Minion right back!

It's a strong card and it has increasing marginal returns, but it's not unreasonable at a cost of 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never lost when Library is in the set as well. Let them get all the Minions and all you need is three of four Libraries. Once they've committed to Minion, they need to keep with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Minion is one of those cards that gets more powerful the more of them you have.

Whether that makes it more powerful than some other strategy, depends on the other strategy.

This reminds me of Donald's comment on Treasure Map: If every player goes for it, then one of the players who went for it will definitely win, but that doesn't tell you whether Treasure Map is "broken" or not. The same seems to apply here; obviously, if both players try to run Minion.dek and one does it better, the player who does it better will definitely win, but that doesn't mean Minion is overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Poe
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well from my expernices on BSW with Minion, it is a pretty annoying card to deal with. Of course I like to use it when I think it will be good for me. I don't use a whole train of them though like some people. I'll buy maybe 3-4 and that's about it. Sheldom do I even use the new hand action, unless my hand is total garbage. It's not over powered though by any means...just tough to deal with it depending on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.