Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the corporation that buys these privates get one of the 3 tokens, leaving only 2 to sell, or are they just assumed to have the power without the token, leaving 3 to sell?

The latter seems to make the private more valuable, and at the same time leaves the issue "how do you mark that the original company has this power after the privates close?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bridge/Port Tokens
We've wondered this as well...

We've played that the company that acquires the private takes the first token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
As do we...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, how often are they sold to other companies? In games I played they are rarely sold, and if a token is sold it is by a company owned by the same player that owns the company with the token. In my experience the tokens never play an important part in the game. The value of the $100-privates lies completely and only in the fact that you can sell them for $200 to the company you own to get extra private money. The fact that they add a +$10 bonus is so small, that it doesn't really have much influence. In fact, owning the bridge or tunnel company doesn't urge me to start the Canada Rail or the Welland rail if a better alternative is available.

What if the bonus was +$20 instead of +$10?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, even if I don't get the tunnel, if I have the first company to start, its likely I'll start the LPS. And since the LPS can generate $20 additional each OR off of the tunnel, paying $50 for the token is pretty good investment as far as I'm concerned, as it pays itself back in 3 OR. The same can be said for the GW or CA when it tokens the LPS' home city.

I think the only one who would buy the bridge token is the WR if it doesn't own the private at the beginning of the game, or the CGR later in the game if it gets access to Buffalo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Theiss
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play if the company can use it it does. If it is not conected it does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
The +10 bridge/tunnel bonuses are unlimited. There are only 3 tokens each, so you have to use a coin in the rare event more than 3 companies gain the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
dilago wrote:
BTW, how often are they sold to other companies? In games I played they are rarely sold, and if a token is sold it is by a company owned by the same player that owns the company with the token. In my experience the tokens never play an important part in the game. The value of the $100-privates lies completely and only in the fact that you can sell them for $200 to the company you own to get extra private money. The fact that they add a +$10 bonus is so small, that it doesn't really have much influence. In fact, owning the bridge or tunnel company doesn't urge me to start the Canada Rail or the Welland rail if a better alternative is available.

What if the bonus was +$20 instead of +$10?

These tokens are fine for what they are. +20 would be rediculously powerful. LPS is already the best company and the WR can be very lucrative. I don't see the benefit in improving their runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
The +10 bridge/tunnel bonuses are unlimited. There are only 3 tokens each, so you have to use a coin in the rare event more than 3 companies gain the bonus.

According to the FAQ, the designer's intended limit is 3 tokens, which is why this is relevant to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
BFoy wrote:

According to the FAQ, the designer's intended limit is 3 tokens, which is why this is relevant to me.

As much as I respect the designer, this limit causes alot of complications and problems with no benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what complications it would cause. Some groups play with three tokens, in which case the company that owns the private gets one and two are available for sale. Other groups play with unlimited tokens. Choose which way you want to play and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the Port token is not available to any company except for the one that bought the GLSC private and placed the token. I thought only the tunnel and bridge bonuses could be purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
As far as I know, the Port token is not available to any company except for the one that bought the GLSC private and placed the token. I thought only the tunnel and bridge bonuses could be purchased.

Whoops...you're correct, and I've edited the title to reflect the correct items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.