Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a new variant I have been working on. So far I am very happy with how it's been going. I have a larger batch of these stars that I am fiddling with, and I've been making changes, but here's how it works:

Each player draws a Cosmic Star at the start of the game. These are placed in your home system. The stars are like a combination of alien power/moon/tech.

You use the power of your star as long as you have the indicated number of ships in your system. Like the powers, some are mandatory and some are optional.

Also like the powers, they have a use, which means they are subject to a Cosmic Zap.

Unlike powers, moons, or tech, the star's power can be used by any player that has the proper number of ships in that system.

If there's ever a conflict about who gets to use a star's power, the player with more ships gets to use it and the other player(s) do not. If there is a tie, the system owner wins the tie, and the proceeding clockwise from the player.

Cosmic Stars is like playing with double powers, with some slight variations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that ANYONE who has the appropriate # of ships in the system gets to use it. That's what really makes it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think these could be really fun. it adds one extra level of positioning your ships and that's pretty neat. I haven't played CE a lot but that aspect sounds great to me.

They also look REALLY nice so kudos on that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a cool variation of the star discs, something I kind of miss from FFG's CE (and some powers, like the Assessor). Any stars "trap" ships?

Also, will you allow multiple stars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A brilliant idea. I already like this better than Moons. Tons of potential here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely better than moons, since it doesn't take the place of trying to obtain a foreign colony. The thing I disliked the most about moons was it distracted from the main goal of the game, that is obtaining foreign colonies. This concept of suns just adds to the overall game and lets players continue to move ahead, trying to conquer more of the galaxy and eventually win the game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. Great idea for a variant, I love the design and the art of those stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many stars have you come up with? and what are their specifics? List 'em all out!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the reverse hex effect here too- and you can combine it with the existing planets. Pulsar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, Jack. One reason I dislike so much fan-generated material is the (usually) appalling aesthetics, but these stars are stunningly beautiful. Echoing what others have already said, seeing "star discs" again triggers a warm fuzzy feeling. Kinda like attending your high school reunion (only the girls are all grown up now and they're a bunch of hottie cougars). Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sheets
United States
Pinson
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These look awesome, just when I was happy that Incursion didn't force me to redo my foamboard insert you come along and may make me have to do that… humph ;)

The only thing I'd say is that the numbers look a bit out of place, perhaps take the design from the numbers on the tech cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't exact, but they are a kind of close to the numbers on the tech cards. Even the purple circle background thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely briliant!! Fits into the game system perfectly and i really like this special new feature...thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sounds very cool. That should make tokens much more valuable, and home bases somewhat more valuable (depending on the star), both of which would be interesting twists.

How does Pulsar interact with Antimatter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Thulhu?
Mexico
Sonora
flag msg tools
|)@r+# +#¿£#¿
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lindsey wrote:
Sounds very cool. That should make tokens much more valuable, and home bases somewhat more valuable (depending on the star), both of which would be interesting twists.

How does Pulsar interact with Antimatter?

I'd treat that as a timing conflict, which favors offense. Since Pulsar says it can only be used on defense, Antimatter on offense gets priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Thulhu?
Mexico
Sonora
flag msg tools
|)@r+# +#¿£#¿
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
A brilliant idea. I already like this better than Moons. Tons of potential here.

agreed. I like this because it de-nerfs Amoeba ... That power can now position itself to acquire desired star powers in a single encounter, as opportunity arises.

This also further encourages real commitment to defensive alliances, so the defenders can redistribute defensive ships to a single foreign colony to qualify for it's star power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Pulsar simply said it couldn't be used against Anti-Matter, which I was never really fond of. I was like, you can't pulse high against AM? But it's okay to pulse low against Virus. This is why I just let it screw Anti-Matter... that guy has enough advantages in the game. I may change it back, but for now... he must suffer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY! a new twist on reverse hexes!

Pulsar: a slightly modified version of the old reverse hex - Good!
Magnetar: cannot read. >_< guesswork: similar to Magnet/Crystal?
Protostar: say wha? in addition to? using this would require you to have almost all your ships at home >_<
x-Ray burstar: the distant system, except it has no effect on defenderss at all- good.
binary: yeah, it's the same too...
Polar: makes the abilitie of other stars harder to invoke? interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that makes me sad about Cosmic Stars is that they won't be in the next expansion. If they were, Jack would be under NDA and wouldn't be able to tell us about them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still curious to see the list of stars Jack's put together! What are they all? And any "prison" stars? (I miss my Assessor )

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
The only thing that makes me sad about Cosmic Stars is that they won't be in the next expansion. If they were, Jack would be under NDA and wouldn't be able to tell us about them...
you left out a word. "Yet" they aren't in there yet. angrywhistle that could change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So, um... are you going to post the files so that WE can try them out too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be making them available soon, along with all of the effects. I'm trying to get another game together to try some more out, but there's too much bloody snow surrounding me right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Silk
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the concept, but if I'm understanding them correctly, the 'Defense Only' stars seem of limited use to a 'Foreign Alien' with their use being restricted to the system the star resides in.

Meeting all of the requirements for the stars: Having multiple foreign colonies with a significant number of ships in the SAME system is a not common (at least in my games). Add the fact that (typically) the only player who is going to attack your foreign colony is the home system owner who has to draw his own colour and decide that attacking you (with the inherent benefits that the star grants) is a better strategic decision then simply drawing a new card to (hopefully) get a foreign colony of his own.

All of this seems to suggest that the use of a 'Defense Only' star is going to be quite limited for an invading alien and that some of the stronger stars will serve only to extend the first few rounds of trying to establish a foreign colony. (not that that is a bad thing - just longer games of CE)

It might be more trouble than it is worth, but it would seem more interesting to me if a player that controlled a foreign star gained a more 'universal' benefit to apply to encounters outside of that system (similar to the text for Wild & Super Flares). It would make me reprioritize my decision to commit more resources to capturing foreign stars for use in future encounters.

All of this is just conjecture on my part, as I have obviously not played with them yet. I would be happy to introduce them to my group though! They are quite striking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The defense only stars are indeed meant to be taken advantage of primarily by the system owner, and if you are dug in on one of those planets as an invading player, you can probably stand securely knowing the system owner will not bother trying to take you out of there. Are there are, more compelling reasons for a player to make use of the star for that foreign colony? I'm willing to bet there are, even if rarely.

My goal is to have at least 20 different stars (hopefully more), for variety, and the different effects, costs, and uses will vary greatly.

They're still in the first testing iteration, and changes are constantly being made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.