United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how there are already 4 ratings for a game that is still at the printers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
I love how there are already 4 ratings for a game that is still at the printers.

You must not be around here much, the whole rating before its released is a HUGE thing.

Now in their defense and to speak from my own experience I was able to rate Arcane Legions before it was released as my local game store got a demo of it that we played. So there is a chance that these people have playtested it or demo'ed it?

Some people also use ratings to mark how excited they are for somethings release.

And some people use it to effect certain people and companies.

All of it just goes to show you that the ratings system really doesnt mean jack diddly squat when you look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
All of it just goes to show you that the ratings system really doesnt mean jack diddly squat when you look at it.

That's a bit of an overstatement. A small number of early rating means jack diddly squat. When there are a large number of ratings months or years after the release, then they are more useful (but, of course, should not be blindly followed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vetinari wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

That's a bit of an overstatement. A small number of early rating means jack diddly squat. When there are a large number of ratings months or years after the release, then they are more useful (but, of course, should not be blindly followed).

But you never know if their useful because a large majority of BGG uses the ratings system for their OWN personal system. So when you take that into effect the ratings tend to be a sham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Vetinari wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

But you never know if their useful because a large majority of BGG uses the ratings system for their OWN personal system. So when you take that into effect the ratings tend to be a sham.

Ratings are useful when there are comments by the users to back them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Vetinari wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Ratings are useful when there are comments by the users to back them up.

This is very true, this would prove the exception. Im an extremely forgiving rater so I honestly think Im more of the problem than a help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here after visting FFG to see if there was any more information on a game that genuinely interests me, only to once more be faced with bogus ratings.

Why not just upload a virus to BGG, it'll probably do less damage than false ratings are doing to the site?!! Screwing with the ratings is a middle finger to BGG and it's Admins angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

It does let you know who the idiots on this site are though. That's some use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Every time there is a new game coming out with a lot of hype, there is a post just like this wondering why the game already has ratings even though it is not available yet...

hmmm... its got cool box thats big enough to hide a midget corpse... i think im gonna rate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
Every time there is a new game coming out with a lot of hype, there is a post just like this wondering why the game already has ratings even though it is not available yet...

hmmm... its got cool box thats big enough to hide a midget corpse... i think im gonna rate it.

blood for the blood god. midget corpses for the midget corpse throne.

khorne rates this game a "rrraaaaaAAAAAAARRGH!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.