Popular Tags: [View All]
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Kingsport p.10)
Apparently it is official that you can use either or both a Guardian and a Herald (assuming you have the expansion that's got them).
So you can use just a Guardian and no Herald. Which must make the game easier, at least by a little bit. Is that what people normally opt for to help with their chances or is that considered a bit wimpy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardians can make the game easier, but we still seldom use them. One guy I know allows them randomly. He wants to use all of his components.

I've made up a lot of kitten tokens and place them on all the streets. Each time a player passes one, some one, usuually my daugther Emily, is supposed to meow. Anyone in the streets can feed them for $2 and automatically bring in the Bast guardian. After 5 games, there's lots of meowing but no one ever feeds them and so Bast has not been summoned.

I also allow players to go the South Church and for 6 trophy points summon Nodens or 9 Trophy points summon Hypnos. That has only happened once in about 10 games. It was Nodens and the player said she wouldn't do it again.

So in one sense Bast is in every game if someone wants her, but so far nobody has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The problem with Bast is she's useless until you draw that darned Mythos card ("The Story Continues" or something like that?)

I think the guardians were interesting, but I wish they were a bit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zubbus wrote:
Is that what people normally opt for to help with their chances or is that considered a bit wimpy?

Wimpy ! Darn girly-men!

Since I don't have KH, no Guardians for me, only Heralds. That's the way it should be, no help, only increased difficulty cool .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I just noticed only 1 box has guardians and like someone mentioned. They are not particularly awesome. So I guess most people neither has nor needs them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
I also allow players to go the South Church and for 6 trophy points summon Nodens or 9 Trophy points summon Hypnos. That has only happened once in about 10 games. It was Nodens and the player said she wouldn't do it again.

I really like this. I might use it. I enjoy the hopeless feeling the game is capable of producing every now and then, so I only enjoy Guardians when they're mixed with an appropriately difficult Herald. I think this idea could easily be implemented. I'd probably say 5 for Nodens and 10 for Hypnos, just to make them divide easily into Gate Trophies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
The problem with Bast is she's useless until you draw that darned Mythos card ("The Story Continues" or something like that?)
I think the guardians were interesting, but I wish they were a bit better.

Are you smoking crack? For the meager cost of $2 you are immune to monsters moving into your location. I would say this is better than useless.

From the Bast Herald card:
Ref:http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Bast
Quote:
Protector of Cats
Whenever an investigator is in a street area during the Arkham Encounters Phase, he may spend $2 to feed the stray cats of Arkham. If he chooses to do so, that investigator takes a Bast token if he does not have one already. At the start of each turn, any investigator with a Bast token must either spend all of his Focus or discard the token.

Guardian of the Home
If a monster would enter the same area as an investigator with a Bast token during the Mythos Phase, the monster remains where it is instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanhanson wrote:

Are you smoking crack? For the meager cost of $2 you are immune to monsters moving into your location. I would say this is better than useless.

Problem I think is this bit:

"At the start of each turn, any investigator with a Bast token must either spend all of his Focus or discard the token."

Wilson Richards and Trish Scarborough don't care about their Focus, for most other investigators, you need to shift those Skills around often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Bremen
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love the kitten idea! damn fine roleplaying and cute! very fine theme integration! YAY bast!

and there is one more guardian, Anne from Penny Arcades. it is downloadable from ffg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same issue with Bast as Rauli. $2 to summon Bast for what many times is going to be only one turn. I used Nodens a few times, but gave him up, too. It was nice to discard Noden's card rather than the blessing, but it just never came up enough.

I do use the Hypnos deck, but only for placement of clue tokens after the doom track has reached halfway, round up, since late game clues all but dry up. I don't use the part of the card that allows an investigator to draw two cards at the location, since I think that's too overpowered.

I don't use the Heralds in the big-box expansions. The first couple of times I used Father Dagon and Groth (?), my combined record was 2-14. I don't mind losing, but I prefer a competitive game to a walk-over, especially solo.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.