Roads & Boats» Forums » General

Subject: Is the marker used for anything other than roads and bridges? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am an observant Jew who frequently plays games on the Sabbath. I would be unable to use the marker on those days. I just received the game and have yet to play it. Is there any need for the marker other than roads and bridges? If not, can I easily use tokens of some sort instead of the marker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We don't bother with the plastic sheet; it's too much trouble to get it to lie flat. We use bits from other games for the roads (the track from TransAmerica, to be exact).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you are implying this, but I would like to be sure. If I use the bits you describe, I have no need for either plastic sheet or marker - is that right?

I just cut out the roads and bridges that someone posted here - so if that's all I need, then I'm good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

We don't bother with the plastic sheet; it's too much trouble to get it to lie flat. We use bits from other games for the roads (the track from TransAmerica, to be exact).

And what do you use for railways and powerlines?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:
... I would be unable to use the marker on those days. ...

Just out of curiosity, why are you not allowed to use a marker on Sabbath, but are allowed to use e.g wooden sticks?

I bought about 200 brown wooden "Settlers roads" because I didn't like the plastic sheet and marker. Still have to find out how well it works though.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
atomike wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

Are those in the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
peterk wrote:
Beowuulf1 wrote:
... I would be unable to use the marker on those days. ...

Just out of curiosity, why are you not allowed to use a marker on Sabbath, but are allowed to use e.g wooden sticks?

I bought about 200 brown wooden "Settlers roads" because I didn't like the plastic sheet and marker. Still have to find out how well it works though.

Peter
Without going into too much detail, writing is prohibited on the Sabbath and moving around bits of wood is not. (In short, the prohibition of working on the Sabbath is tied to work done in building the Tabernacle - and writing is somewhat related to a task done in its building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember that i once downloaded a .pdf with some roadtracks for selfcutting from another user... wait...
Just have a look in the files section:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52119/new-tiles-for-mi...
But i, personally, didn´t tried it and neither do i think that it´s very well to handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:
atomike wrote:
Are those in the base game?
No. The base game only has roads and bridges. Railways and Power lines are in the expansion.

So wood bits should work fine for the roads and bridges, as long as you can make sure not to accidentally move them around. That, or the cardboard ones mentioned should work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The advantage of the cardboard bits would be that you can build walls over roads. Therefore if you use wooden bits (thick) you get a stacking problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.