Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading through the rules and found a mistake or two my family was making but aside form that I noticed the rules said something like, 'We suggest you pick one territory per player'.

Has anyone select more or less? If so what were your results? It might be fun to play with an entire map sometime...

What do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
I was reading through the rules and found a mistake or two my family was making but aside form that I noticed the rules said something like, 'We suggest you pick one territory per player'.

Has anyone select more or less? If so what were your results? It might be fun to play with an entire map sometime...

What do you all think?

Forget this sentence. It holds true for 3-5 players. This is a very misleading wording. These are the official rules (I guess you'll find this somewhere in your rulebook also):

2-player: 3 regions
3-player: 3 regions
4-player: 4 regions
5-player: 5 regions
6-player: 5 regions

Don't use fewer regions or you might not be able to fulfill the end game condition. Don't take more regions, because otherwise there's too much space and the whole are control stuff won't be of any importance any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to have enough cities to start Step 2 and to end the game, so fewer cities can be a problem. More cities won't break anything, but most aficionados feel it just flattens out the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you had 4-5 players and were playing to 20 cities with the new power plants? Whole map???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:

What do you all think?
I think the suggestion isn't trying to say "about one territory per player plays well," but "a nice way to select the territories you play on is to let each person pick one."

This statement has also led many people to make the mistake of thinking you must put your starting city in the territory you select. shake Overall, I think it could have been worded a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often refer to that part of the Power Grid rules book as "The Sentence that launched a thousand threads" for how poorly worded and misleading it is regarding building houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
What if you had 4-5 players and were playing to 20 cities with the new power plants? Whole map???

If you are referring to the Big Deck variant 3, then you don't select regions but a set number of connected cities.

For 3 players playing to 20, this is 24 cities
For 4 players playing to 20, this is 32 cities
For 5 players you play to 18 not 20 and pick 40 cities

For completion

2 players play to 24, pick 24
6 players play to 15, pick 42 (that is the whole board)

Note Benelux only has 35 cities, so wouldn't work for 5 or 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:

Note Benelux only has 35 cities, so would work for 5 or 6 players.

You mean wouldn't, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
DaveD wrote:

Note Benelux only has 35 cities, so would work for 5 or 6 players.

You mean wouldn't, of course.

Oops, Yes - Now corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.