Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Cowan
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I don't actually play ASL myself, but my brother used to play "Squad Leader" years & years ago, and I thought that it might be nice if I got him "Advanced Squad Leader".

However, I am a bit confused as to what to specifically get him. I take it that there is no specific "Advanced Squad Leader" game that comes in a box?

I don't know how much time my brother will have to play the game, so I don't want to invest too much at this time.

If all I get is this "ASL Starter Kit#1", will that be enough for him to play?

Obviously the more modules you get, the more options you have, the better it is, but I really just want to set him up to play a handful of games and see where it goes from there.

Thanks for you help.

Hugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Starter Kit #1 is probably the best choice for someone getting back into the game after a long break, because it is a) self contained and b) cheaper than full ASL, if it doesn't happen to click for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's fluent in Squad Leader, he might be ok to just get into full ASL right off. In that case, you'd want to get him the ASL rulebook and Beyond Valor. That will cost you about $100-$200 depending on where you get them.

ASLSK#1 would be a cheap, self-contained option, but might not have the depth that someone who has already played Squad Leader might want for the 'next step'. I LOVE the SKs, don't get me wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hcowan wrote:
I don't know how much time my brother will have to play the game...

This tells me that SK1 is the right choice here. Full ASL, even with prior SL experience, requires a big time commitment to become fluent with the rules. It would be a shame to spend close to $200 for the ASLRB + BV if your bro doesn't want to spend that kind of time with it. SK1 is fun and cheap - if he likes it enough to play regularly, it's easy enough to go right to full ASL from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.