Popular Tags: a-voir [+] [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this fan expansion for Dice of the Living Dead a while ago, and I've been tweaking it now and then, but I think it's ready to test out. Problem is that I'm traveling now, and when I'm back home next week I'll still be busy moving into a new house for a while, so I don't know when I'll get a chance to print this out and try it. But I figured someone out there might like to give it a shot. If you do, please report back to me with comments about how it worked (or didn't).

This takes the Dice of the Living Dead system and expands it quite a bit. There are now three survivor groups involved (so you could presumably play this either solo by controlling all 3 groups, or cooperatively with 3 players), and they are trying to accomplish a mission to be rescued from a 2-story mall location. The hope is to keep the same basic time/survival challenge of the original game and add some more adventure elements and depth to it. Certainly, there is some chrome here and perhaps a little fiddliness, so one question will be whether all elements work or if some things should be nixed. And perhaps other things could be added... But regardless, it's all just theoretical until someone actually tries it out.

So here's the PDF file: http://www.erichermanmusic.com/DOTDOTD_1.pdf Please let me know if you have any questions about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, nuts. I just remembered a part of this game that I'd meant to work on. I'd completely forgotten about that when revisiting this recently after a few months away from it. No wonder I had stopped working on it before... it needed a big fix!

The problem is, as it is now, there isn't much reason not to just go directly to the Clothing Store(s) and stay there until you get the right color combinations, then head to the roof, possibly getting some barricade materials on the way to barricade up the roof and guarantee the win. Granted, there might be enough challenge to just survive that, but it makes all the other stuff sort of pointless, which is too bad, because I like what that other stuff could add to the experience, with the right structure in place, at least. I suppose you might visit some of the other places first to get some batteries or knowledge or whatever to help search and accomplish what you need to a bit easier, but I just don't think the incentive or need is strong enough to explore the different locations, so I feel it's probably broken without something being changed to address that. I had some ideas for what to do about that, so I'll have to work on that now.

Anyway, I'll leave the PDF up if anyone wants to check it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, game on... Here's the updated rule that fixes the above issue (for now, at least):

"Every location in the mall must be searched at least once during the game. Place a marker in a location once a search has been made there to indicate that it has been searched (a search doesn’t need to be successful to count). Stores may be searched more than once... resources may be found on later searches that weren’t found previously... but one search per location, performed by any one of your survivor groups, is sufficient for the purposes of the search requirement. (Note: Resting at the Mattress Store counts as the search for that location.)"

Thematically, I'm saying that before entering the mall, the survivor groups agreed that it was too tempting of an opportunity not to search every location in the mall for valuable supplies, so they have added that as part of their objective.

Of course, I'm not sure how feasible that requirement is considering the time constraints involved, so I may have to adjust some other things to compensate... And it may not even be the best fix for my concern above about the locations needing more incentive to visit, but for now, that does provide a need to get to every store and should provide some tactical decisions as far as how to split up to cover everything, while still being sure to get enough of the color code to be rescued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello...just wondering if there has been any further progress on your variant? I thought I'd check in before rolling away =)

(fwiw) thanks for the heads up on dicetower!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Hello...just wondering if there has been any further progress on your variant? I thought I'd check in before rolling away =)

(fwiw) thanks for the heads up on dicetower!

I have tested this somewhat but it needs some more tweaking, IMO. I'll definitely post a response here when ready, so subscribe to this thread for news on an update, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe as a plot reason for the required searching, they feel the need to look for their lost friends? Surely a stronger motivation than "Oh, stuff we probably can't take on the helicopter with us!"

Alternatively, you could say that the mall is a final test for this P1 group, that they need to bring an object from every store to prove the stories about them are true... Probably not the strongest reason, I admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
Maybe as a plot reason for the required searching, they feel the need to look for their lost friends?

Yeah, that's basically what I've gone with... Every store has to be searched for survivors, and whatever else you happen to find (which will be specific to each type of store) is great, too.

By way of news, I have tested this out again recently, and it's getting closer... Another few tweaks and I should be ready to share it. Sorry for the delay, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to seeing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing it.

+1.5

(my son is 8 and not on bgg, but he does like zombie games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.