Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using Microsoft Excel, and the spreadsheet I'm using has gotten fairly large, with lots of cells.

I would like to know if it's possible to change the size/color of the selection rectangle or box that surrounds the cell that you're currently working in...I've noticed that if I step away from my computer for even just a short time, when I start working on the spreadsheet again, I can't find where I was at without using the arrow keys to move the selection box around...

As configurable as Excel is, surely there's a way to change this box so that it's more noticeable and stands out...

I know, I'm being really picky, but hey, it never hurts to ask...

While I'm at it, is it also possible to lock only the FORMATTING of a particular cell, so that the color of the cell cannot be changed but the contents can still be edited?

BTW, I'm using Microsoft Office 2007...

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe if you're working in Excel and you scroll in/out with the mouse wheel you will zoom in/out of the cells. You could zoom into the cell you're working on, then zoom out when you continue.

Edit: it is CNTRL + mouse wheel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one, I don't think so. The second, yes. You can protect a workbook without actually locking any cells. Select all the cells, go to format -> Cells, then the "Protection" tab, and deselect "Locked." Then go to Tools -> Protection -> Protect Sheet/Protect Workbook. Select the stuff you want to allow users to do and hit okay. If you don't want them to format stuff, leave it unchecked.

If you did everything correctly, you'll see that you can type whatever you want, but you can't format anything.

Addendum: note that you can't only lock the formatting of particular cells; if you do it, you do it for the whole document.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
HI,

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to change the cell highlight box. That's just the way it is.

Whenever you are in a cell, the row and column should highlight, making it quite easy to determine where you are, unless you've zoomed out and your cells are very small.

There is a way to lock a cell colour, using conditional formatting. You could enter a formula in the conditional formatting that says if the cell is "*" (any value) then change to this colour.

Other than that, there is cell and worksheet protection, but this is really dysfunctional in Excel and probebly one of the least effective features of a great program. Microsoft, please make protection better to use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.