Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently submitted a forum article to BGG asking for help regarding a request to all BGG members to submit a new game category to EBAY regarding the popular "EURO/Ameritrash" games out there.

I called them "Designer Games" thinking "Euro and Ameritrash" probably weren't going to be accepted by Ebay. What I didn't think was that a kindly Admin would decine my article saying: eh?
Terrible. "Designer games" sounds too proud, to egotist

I read this article regarding these games referred to as "Designer Games" and didn't find it proud or egotist...
and actually enjoyed it when I was just getting into this hobby. http://boardgames.about.com/library/games/blgerman.htm

So what I am asking is actually a couple of things: If you had to categorize games like Agricola, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Catan, Descent, Cosmic Encounter...ect, into a simple search category, eliminating several games like candyland and monopoly....what would you call it? and...
What do you call these games when you describe them to your friends and family who are unfamiliar?

One more thing (EBAY Related)
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam......
If you are interested, you can click on the above link and tell them what you would like to see there.
At the moment I search by family games 1990-now and subtract games like Candyland and High School Musical from the search. I thought it would be nice for these games to have their own category though. Maybe with enough requests they will. Feel free to give advice on your Game Deal hunting secrets too. Whether it be on Ebay or elsewhere. I actually frequent Coolstuffinc mostly because their prices are excellent and I don't have to pay for shipping since I am local.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If eBay had a category for "designer" games I think it would be filled with hundreds of different varieties of Monopoly, because someone who is not familiar with the term wouldn't have any idea what it means but would assume it's better than the generic board game category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mugs wrote:
If eBay had a category for "designer" games I think it would be filled with hundreds of different varieties of Monopoly,

That is a good point.

I can see the OP's point or frustration. If you want to scan E-Bay site for games you have so many things that just are not what the mainstream BGG user is looking for.

So what would you call them and what category would be self explanatory to keep it euro's or designer?? I do not know.

I have to admit it is so much easier to enter "War Board Games" or "dice" and get what you are looking for, but board game has 17,154 entries when I just now checked.

The only solution I have found is to put in the publisher to narrow it down like Rio Grande Games, or Fantasy Flight Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Currently when you type the title of what you are listing in ebay, the site sort of points out/recommends the category it should be in.

So if you listed Monopoly, it would point you towards the "family" category. If you listed Catan, then it would point you towards another category like "designer games."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mutilatedlips wrote:
So what I am asking is actually a couple of things: If you had to categorize games like Agricola, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Catan, Descent, Cosmic Encounter...ect, into a simple search category, eliminating several games like candyland and monopoly....what would you call it?

Hmm... I suppose "games that don't blow" would be a bit too risque for EBay's "family-friendly" atmosphere. Maybe "strategy games?"

Edited to replace wayward closing bold tag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:

The only solution I have found is to put in the publisher to narrow it down like Rio Grande Games, or Fantasy Flight Games.

This sounds like the best approach to me, too.

If you're looking for clothes on eBay, they don't let you select a "designer handbags" category, but they do let you select Chanel, Kate Spade, Gucci, or whatever. I don't see why they couldn't do the same for game publishers and/or designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Levine
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just "European Style", "American Style", etc? I agree with the Admin, "designer games" is just awful. Even a boardgamer wouldn't know what you're talking about?

And, is it really a problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst 'Designer Games' is indeed an understood phrase in our circles, I too think that it would be a terrible choice for the general populace, and misleading.

Euro/Ameritrash would be the most useful appellations for us - we all know what they mean, if we don't like the description, or we know it's inaccurate. However these descriptions are only really in currency amongst this and similar communities, not the wider populace.

Strategy games is the best you are likely to get, but you will still get it filled with Monopoly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelsith
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did a quick search of "Board Games" on eBay I think rather than trying Euro/Ameritrash or Designer games, I am almost thinking it might be easier to try to make a "Monopoly + Variants" category. That would remove about 20-40 percent of the fluff by my rough count. Add another option for "child friendly games" and it could actually turn just searching for board games into a viable option.

Heck throw in a option for "parts and accessories" and a "other" and we could just understand that we are the "others"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just call it Germanic Games or Eurogames as it's own category, that should basically get what you're looking for with Designer games as a category I would think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I'm a proponent of "Strategy Board Games." Yes, I get that they are not all strategic: some are tactical, some random, luck-based, etc. But the term invokes a near universal understanding that you are talking about a more "advanced" game than Monopoly or Candyland, while not exclusively referring to wargames.

Strategy Board Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
Just call it Germanic Games . . .

Germanic? That's one of those adjectives that's loaded with political connotations, like Teutonic. I recommend avoiding it.

How about just German games?

I think European games or Eurogames is more descriptive, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our main auction site in New Zealand, which is called Trade Me, uses Strategy Games - Euros seem to get posted in there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I did agree and wrote in my original article that German/Style games was another good way to go and also suggested it to Ebay.
I do also like the idea above regarding having the publishers in categories like the designers for clothing.
Let Ebay know! or you are going to end up with "designer games" as a category and you can all blame me for it
Actually I don't think they listen to anybodys suggestions, but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "AmeriTrash"... I can't imagine too many merchants want the word "trash" in their items' descriptions.

After searching the categories, I don't know if it would be wise to trust them even if we were to get the "perfect" set. The sellers are the ones who decide where to list them, and many seem to lack the knowledge or time to properly categorize them even under the current system; I saw old Dragon Magazines under "Miniatures, War Games" instead of RPGs (D&D), Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, Zombies!!!, and kids toys all in "Plastic Action Games", and about 10% of all Monopoly games were under "Family Games" despite there being a specific Monopoly category.*

Unfortunately, I can't imagine that a more nuanced system would have anything but a worse success rate.

*I should note that a seller can list something under two categories, so perhaps these were just cross-listed in both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it has the designer's name on the front of the box, it's a designer game. I'd go with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.