Popular Tags: design [+] [View All]
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is my February-March project.

This table is 6x10 total in size. This is going to feature a 4x8 whiteboard gaming surface, sunken in and lined in felt.

A short throw projector will be mounted on the ceiling to offer the ability to cast the game board onto the gaming surface.

The inner ring of light wood (privacy panels) will be removable, able to be replaced with a larger table top.

Each station will have a light and a switch for its control.

6 drawers for extra storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! I love the projector concept. That will allow you to make some of the smaller boards bigger too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow.. I can't wait for the actual pics with the projector being used
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with any projected image, is that the game pieces will end up blocking the image from hitting the surface (under them). This may not be an issue with most games. However, you will find there are games with larger pieces that may cause visibility issues underneath them. Also, when you put your hand over the board to place your piece, you will suddenly lose visibility for some of the board. Since your projector will project from a fixed-sized and distance, it will project outwards. Things like the tower in El Grande will hide the image from projecting beyond it.

If you have considerable money to invest into something like this, you may want to consider a digital screen to go under a sheet of (thick) glass (http://news.cnet.com/Samsung-unveils-largest-flexible-LCD/21...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Shawn, but that is not an option. The projector offers much more versatility of use for things other than gaming. A mounted screen under a game table can really only be a mounted screen under a game table. All of your concerns were obviously already weighed out. Some occasional blockage is a very small price to pay. I mean... move your hand, move your piece, problem solved. Plus, the resolution on your suggestion is just way too small.

Enlargement of game boards is a definite bonus. Beyond that, it also offers game board protection. But I think the biggest benefit will be to make custom game boards for a lot of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scolari
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant! I can't wait for the pictures of this thing in action!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do love me some game table pron, have you considered average human proportions in designing a table of this size? Or will people be standing a lot or using long hooks to move pieces?

For example, I am 5' 10" and my maximum comfortable reach with body pressed to table edge is 30". That means I could reach just to the dead middle of a 60" edge-to-edge span. Yours is 72" one way and 120" the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. I'll take one, while you're at it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered mounting the projector under the gaming table and projecting onto frosted Plexiglas? I've seen this done with great success during some work I did years ago on museum exhibits. I'm not sure what the distance of throw is on your projector. I have seen some projectors mounted under a table that bounce the image off of a mirror to increase the throw distance as well. Then you would have the best of both worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
While I do love me some game table pron, have you considered average human proportions in designing a table of this size? Or will people be standing a lot or using long hooks to move pieces?

For example, I am 5' 10" and my maximum comfortable reach with body pressed to table edge is 30". That means I could reach just to the dead middle of a 60" edge-to-edge span. Yours is 72" one way and 120" the other.

Even with potential reach, doing so is hell on ones back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erhan Cubukcuoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks very nice, big project. Drawers for storage is good idea. And two color of wood for top of table, ı tink will look very nice. It will be plaesant to see the pictures of finished table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eidolon wrote:
Thanks, Shawn, but that is not an option. The projector offers much more versatility of use for things other than gaming. A mounted screen under a game table can really only be a mounted screen under a game table. All of your concerns were obviously already weighed out. Some occasional blockage is a very small price to pay. I mean... move your hand, move your piece, problem solved. Plus, the resolution on your suggestion is just way too small.

The biggest problem i would have with a projector is that the black is your white of your whiteboard. So in order to look good with good contrast it has to be almost dark in the room. But i guess that's why you include lights on each station.
The only benefit of the projector will be the bigger size of the screen. The resolution won't be better compared to a FullHD panel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:

Very good point, people sitting at the ends will be 5 feet away from the center of the board. Use this table for any game that needs pieces to be moved and you won't be able to do it yourself.

Nice idea with some neat touches but just way too big imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has built a lot of train layouts over the years, I would suggest you consider the reach of a person (usually, 24-27" is the maximum comfort level) and then limit your table width to around 48-50"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, although I think the projector idea is very creative, the biggest problem I believe will be the projection of the game board on top of the game pieces. Once you play a piece, the game board projection will now be on top. This will make smaller, busier game pieces hard to read -- war game chits; Caylus buildings; etc. If it was acceptable to use the LCD as recommended or project from the bottom to a hard membrane of some sort, that might be the better solutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also need to remember when projecting from the roof shadows (such as players' arms, hands, other appendages) will throw directly down, obscuring the gameboard. Not so much of a problem in games with little detail on the boards, but a big one in some others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
LOL. Thank you to the few of you that have reminded me how projectors work and that they are not magical and cannot project THROUGH solid objects.

The size of the table has been the one issue that I have been debating, so your ideas on that have been/are being taken into consideration. I haven't quite determined how this is going to be addressed, if at all. The width of the gaming surface is likely going to remain 4 feet, so the table will remain 6 feet wide. The length may be shortened to 6 feet (8 feet long). A player does not need to reach all the way across the table. He only needs to reach about a foot beyond the half way point. Regardless, thank you for the input. I'm keeping it in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always use push and pullsticks for reach. Hell, thats what the war room guys use. Or a grabby thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of suggestions, based on helping a friend build his own custom table.

- Add a place for drinks on your 'shelf' area for each player. This will keep them 'in place' and off the table.

- Put a small 3/4" lip on the edge of each outer shelf. This will keep dice, chits, etc from falling on the floor. It will also serve as a rules holder, where you can keep a rulebook at the page you want, or a clipboard with summary sheet handy.

Good luck, I am anxious to see the finished result here in a month or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
RollD6 wrote:
A couple of suggestions, based on helping a friend build his own custom table.

- Add a place for drinks on your 'shelf' area for each player. This will keep them 'in place' and off the table.

- Put a small 3/4" lip on the edge of each outer shelf. This will keep dice, chits, etc from falling on the floor. It will also serve as a rules holder, where you can keep a rulebook at the page you want, or a clipboard with summary sheet handy.

Good luck, I am anxious to see the finished result here in a month or two.

Ah. Both excellent suggestions! I was contemplating drink holders/built-in coasters. I wasn't sure if I wanted "holes" in the table, even if they served a purpose. I'll reinvestigate other possible solutions on this, though.

I hadn't thought about a lip around the edge. I'll have to add this to the game plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Immer
Germany
Saterland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Eidolon wrote:

Each station will have a light and a switch for its control.

Maybe if posible and affordable arrange some RGB LEDs with a controller around the players area. So the players can set the light around their station to show which color they are playing. Would be a cool effect and you always can see which player has which color on the board.

Like the Idea of your table. Good luck with it.

Ingo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
6x10?!?!?

good god, that's the size of my bathroom! Where is it going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
6x10?!?!?

good god, that's the size of my bathroom! Where is it going?
Size of your bathroom!? It's the size of my dining room! (well, I could get it in the room, but I couldn't sit people around it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.