Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see where you can pay to disable ads on the site, but given the obvious demographics of the site, I find that I'm curious about a lot of the ads that display. And, unlike a lot of sites, they don't bring the site to its knees, performance-wise. I'm not sure why anybody would pay to disable them (not that I mind donating to this excellent site).

Do others find them annoying and worthy of paying to get rid of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes when the top and right side ads have a lot of movement and flashing colors/lights going on, I have a kind of seizure.

Other than that, no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Evony ads make me hot...

No, seriously - I'm a patron, I could block the ads here, but I don't. At least, they are usually game related. And sometimes, even if they aren't, they are good for a laugh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
stlkt wrote:

I don't tolerate advertising in any of my web-browsing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
They don't bother me at all. Most sites have some kind of advertising. They are just there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
Sometimes when the top and right side ads have a lot of movement and flashing colors/lights going on, I have a kind of seizure.

I pay to block ads, and I also use the tool whose name shall not be mentioned to nuke any animated avatars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
No, seriously - I'm a patron, I could block the ads here, but I don't. At least, they are usually game related.

Yup, we work hard to get as many game-related companies as possible in those ad slots! Glad they're useful to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually don't mind the ads, and I even picked up a link to play Tetris (one of my favorite non-wargames) online from here.

As for the animated avatars like mine, all you have to do is hit the "ESC" key and they will stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I found it interesting that the title could be interpreted in two ways.

I like the ads. But nobody else seems to like them?

I do not like the ads. But everybody else seems to like them?

Okay never mind. Typing this made me realize the second interpretation would make sense only if you used "everybody" instead of "anybody."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
I'm one of the paying advertisers so there are some interesting comments here. You can be assured that when I'm browsing through BGG and I seem my ad show up I'm probably happier than most! :D

Having a 100k size limit certianly helps the ads remain fluid and without slowing down the page downloads. But business objectives aside I wouldn't have ads switched off as its a good way of seeing new release info and seeing stuff I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
On my home system it wasn't a problem, but at work and other locations the ads can slow down page load times, so I disable them for speeds sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did like them alot until I recently spotted some "teeth" ads...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A_Denis wrote:

??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the ads immensely amusing, and I would not think of disabling them.

I've spent a lot of time reflecting on the usefulness of the small bits of armor the ladies are wearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
stlkt wrote:

I do and I do block them. Site loads nicely and I can get to what I want in BGG much more rapidly without the ads.

I realize that many of the ads are gaming related, but frankly, they are ads for games I already have or am not interested in, so I am not their target audience. But wait, am I depriving myself of a new game out there? Highly unlikely - any game worthy of consideration will be mentioned in the forums somehow and I will notice it. I don't need the ads to point out new games to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing about being a patron is not seeing the ads.

The only one I periodically turn back on is the Tanga ad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I find the animation in the ads highly distracting. I habitually scroll down and also resize my browser from the right so I don't see them. My annual household budget at the moment doesn't extend far enough to pay to turn off BGG ads. I often click on ads I like to help support the site.

I think people should be able to animate their avatars but I personally find them distracting. I love my Chrome browser which unfortunately doesn't have the Esc feature to freeze animated GIFs. I often temporarily slide my browser window to the left to hide animated avatars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the option to disable ads when I donated last year but decided against it. They help keep me updated on what retailers are doing, even thought the ads are almost invariably US-based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I have to say I don't mind them, and maybe even like them here. But, just here (at BGG).

I've seen some for places I didn't know about for ordering games. Worked out well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
A_Denis wrote:

??

Can someone tell me if they also see those repulsive `teeth` ads?
So far they pop up at least once a day on the right margin.

shit am I going crazy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A_Denis wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
A_Denis wrote:

??

Can someone tell me if they also see those repulsive `teeth` ads?
So far they pop up at least once a day on the right margin.

shit am I going crazy?

YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
..well I clicked on "random game" about 50 times and got at least 5 teeth ads, as well as non gaming ads such as H&M, Red Cross, Ford pickups I think and lots of flat belly stuff. Of course most of the ads are game related and are pleasing to the eye.

I also googled the subject and it seems I'm not the only CRAZY person visually offended by the ads, and apparently they are a scam too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
The best thing about being a patron is not seeing the ads.

The only one I periodically turn back on is the Tanga ad.

There's an ad for Tangas?

Oh I see it's a game?
modest
Is it like strip poker?

Oh I should explain, 'tanga' is the word the Dutch use for a thong.

And getting back to the thread, I should say that I'm not really bothered with them.
As one other poster said, I'm pretty much focused on centre screne and as long as they are game related I don't really mind.

But if ads have nothing to do with games at all, I do think they are annoying. It's bad enough that ads follow us around EVERYWHERE in our lives, so I think we should be allowed at least one place where we can be without them.

I remember an ad on this site about russian brides.
Allthough that immedeatly got me in the mood for 'a game' it was not exactly a board game. With people from time to time making a fuss about certain posts (and rightly so) because young children might be reading, I think this should also be kept in mind when placing ads.

And than another thought, as we all consider BGG to be a reliable, and a save site, I think they should only place ads that are reliable and true.
No ads that promise something that is a scam.
No ads that connect to sites that mess up your computer.

I reckon BGG will claim it can not take responsibility for any of the ads it places, but I think it should.
After all when BGG is accepting an ad on its site and thereby allowing it to be used for 'spreading the word' it in a way connects its good name to said ad.
Imagine the damage that can be done to the good name if one day some rip off artist manages to con a lot of users into losing money, users who connected to this rubbish trhough BGG.
Something like that would surely reflect badly on BGG itself.

Or is what I'm saying absolutely unthinkable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not about whether you can "stand" the ads or not. It's about supporting the 'Geek with your cash!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.