Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Dominion: Stash Promo Card» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shuffling during Cleanup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose I have three cards in my deck (i.e. draw pile) when my Cleanup phase starts. Am I allowed to look at those three cards before I shuffle my discard pile, so that I can make a more informed decision about where to place my Stashes before I draw the rest of my hand?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
jeffwolfe wrote:
Suppose I have three cards in my deck (i.e. draw pile) when my Cleanup phase starts. Am I allowed to look at those three cards before I shuffle my discard pile, so that I can make a more informed decision about where to place my Stashes before I draw the rest of my hand?

Yes. You can always look at the cards in your hand, even in the middle of drawing.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

Yes. You can always look at the cards in your hand, even in the middle of drawing.


Even when you have zero cards in your deck & need to shuffle first before you can begin to draw your next 5 cards? That would make Stash extremely good.

D'uh!

Completely messed up what I meant to ask...!

Here goes...

You have no cards in your draw deck so need to shuffle before you draw. Can you shuffle the discards, take your next 5 cards to look at and THEN put Stash anywhere? Or would they go in the new deck before you draw 5 cards?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
tonksey wrote:
You have no cards in your draw deck so need to shuffle before you draw. Can you shuffle the discards, take your next 5 cards to look at and THEN put Stash anywhere?

No, you only get to choose where Stash goes when you're shuffling. You finish shuffling before drawing.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destry Miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
The card says "When you shuffle" so I'd say you can't after the initial shuffle.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I know this is an old post now, but I take it it goes like this. You shuffle your discard pile, when you are finished, you put this card wherever you want, correct? if so my question is, you can't know what cards you are placing it next to, correct? I mean isn't it sort of arbitrary that way? I mean you can't select with what other cards it'll be in your hand with , right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aiken Drum wrote:
I know this is an old post now, but I take it it goes like this. You shuffle your discard pile, when you are finished, you put this card wherever you want, correct? if so my question is, you can't know what cards you are placing it next to, correct? I mean isn't it sort of arbitrary that way? I mean you can't select with what other cards it'll be in your hand with , right?

Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
okay, thanks a lot. I really don't see much difference than just shuffling it in as regular then, except for you can choose when it'll be drawn - sort of. I really don't understand how it's good in combination with other cards, but then I'm not a Dominion expert...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aiken Drum wrote:
okay, thanks a lot. I really don't see much difference than just shuffling it in as regular then, except for you can choose when it'll be drawn - sort of. I really don't understand how it's good in combination with other cards, but then I'm not a Dominion expert...



Think about the advantage of putting four of them on top of your deck before you draw your first hand after shuffling. That could be handy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Aiken Drum wrote:
okay, thanks a lot. I really don't see much difference than just shuffling it in as regular then, except for you can choose when it'll be drawn - sort of. I really don't understand how it's good in combination with other cards, but then I'm not a Dominion expert...



Think about the advantage of putting four of them on top of your deck before you draw your first hand after shuffling. That could be handy.


yeah, I can see that. You'd have 8 gold right?
However, these cost 5 , so that's 20 for 4. And you would be able to do this only whenever you've gone through your whole deck. I don't know. It seems to me like before you got four of these, you'd have a fairly large deck and if you're playing prosperity, 8 doesn't seem that much. Especially for 4 cards. I think this came out well before prosperity though, so there's that. Again, I am by no means an expert Dominion player, and I don't even own this card, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. So likely I am missing something here, but still, does the above analysis not make even a bit of sense?

edit: Man, look at me, talking like a real dominion player. I am not, so please don't think I am trying to be argumentative here. I am not. I'm just trying to decide if this card is worth acquiring.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aiken Drum wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Think about the advantage of putting four of them on top of your deck before you draw your first hand after shuffling. That could be handy.

yeah, I can see that. You'd have 8 gold right?

Actually, you'd have 8 Coins. In Dominion, Gold are those cards that cost 6 and give you 3 Coins when you play them.

Quote:
However, these cost 5 , so that's 20 for 4. And you would be able to do this only whenever you've gone through your whole deck. I don't know. It seems to me like before you got four of these, you'd have a fairly large deck and if you're playing prosperity, 8 doesn't seem that much. Especially for 4 cards. I think this came out well before prosperity though, so there's that. Again, I am by no means an expert Dominion player, and I don't even own this card, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. So likely I am missing something here, but still, does the above analysis not make even a bit of sense?

Certainly, like any card, it likes some decks more than others. If you have a thick deck and no easy way to get through it, then its use will be limited. But if you've thinned your deck with something like Chapel, or if you're cycling your deck with something like Chancellor, or if you're drawing lots of cards with something like a Village/Smithy combo, then you're going to get a chance to shuffle through your Stashes a lot more often. With Stash, the more you shuffle, the more valuable it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Oh yeah, coins, not gold, I stand correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

Actually your whole post makes a lot more sense than mine. Thanks again
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Certainly, like any card, it likes some decks more than others. If you have a thick deck and no easy way to get through it, then its use will be limited. But if you've thinned your deck with something like Chapel, or if you're cycling your deck with something like Chancellor, or if you're drawing lots of cards with something like a Village/Smithy combo, then you're going to get a chance to shuffle through your Stashes a lot more often. With Stash, the more you shuffle, the more valuable it is.


Another way of looking at it is, barring cards like Chancellor, you're going to cycle through your whole deck, over and over. But, when you shuffle, cards that are in play or in your hand don't get reshuffled, so they "skip" the next pass through your deck. Skipping a pass with bad cards is good, skipping a pass with good cards is bad. Since you can put your Stashes near the top of your deck, they never skip a pass (unless your deck is really small, or some other strange thing happens). So you get to see them more often than your average card over the course of the game, which is good if they are better than your average card, which they generally will be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So essentially: when you discard Stash cards, you basically should make a separate discard pile for them. That way, after the shuffle - you then put the cards anywhere?

-DK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
So essentially: when you discard Stash cards, you basically should make a separate discard pile for them. That way, after the shuffle - you then put the cards anywhere?

-DK
They have a different card back so they are easy to find. You discard them normally, then paw through your discard pile to find them when shuffling.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorsche wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
So essentially: when you discard Stash cards, you basically should make a separate discard pile for them. That way, after the shuffle - you then put the cards anywhere?

-DK
They have a different card back so they are easy to find. You discard them normally, then paw through your discard pile to find them when shuffling.


Right... gotcha.

-DK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, I go with a separate pile for simplicity's sake.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
That said, I go with a separate pile for simplicity's sake.

If you want to play outside the rules in a way that gives your opponents an information advantage you have no obligation to give them, and they're willing to let you, go ahead I guess
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorsche wrote:
If you want to play outside the rules in a way that gives your opponents an information advantage


There's no information advantage in telling your opponent how many Stash cards are in your discard pile, because they get to see when you pick them up, and they know how many are in your hand, so they can count how many are played or discarded.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.