Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wessman
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's half off and they say all unsold copies will be destroyed when the sale ends. http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameAlamein.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DESTOYING GAMES!!!

O my gosh! This thread will turn into a SAVE THE GAMES thread if that is the case. It makes me want to order one and I have no idea what this game is! And at $99 it would be double what I have ever paid for a game.....

Ok let's see the power of BGG at work on this worthy cause of rescuing endangered games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
AP's explanation of the reason for the sale is interesting and amusing.
Here:
http://www.avalanchepress.com/Ode_to_Alamein.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However interesting, and yes I did read it, I won't put my money in APL's pocket. In general I just don't like their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be hard pressed to give them $75 for that one (or any of theirs, for that matter)... Burn, baby, burn... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if they're going to destroy them, why not price it at $20? at $100, maybe a few people will bite. at $20, i would be willing to bet that more than 5 times as many people would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
if they're going to destroy them, why not price it at $20? at $100, maybe a few people will bite. at $20, i would be willing to bet that more than 5 times as many people would.

I think this is the scare tactic they use everytime they want to "fire sale" another game that was a flop for them. I would buy at $40, maybe, but definately at $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if I read the info right on the link, the game designer works for this company. I am surprised that a game designer would go along with destroying any existing copies of his/her game. I guess there is some merit to not wanting to see a game that was designed and expected to sell for $200 going for less than half of that amount.
I still would rather have it out there for someone to enjoy who would never have found it otherwise.
I'd also think it would be good business practice to use this situation to "reward" customers by offering these games at substantial discounts rather than destroy them. Why would a business pass up an opportunity to do something nice for their customers once they decide they are going to get rid of merchandise by destroying it?
Perhaps they could add on a disclaimer, if you buy one, and it arrives damaged it is at the customers risk, or require insurance be purchased on this game so if it is damaged in shipping the USPS or whoever insured it will have to pay.
In the very least, they should donate the games to some charity for their own tax write off. That way they would be supporting a charity and gaining a little bit for themselves.
This just isn't sitting right with me .... the thought of destroying them when they could still be of some good to their customers or charity. That just isn't right.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Wessman wrote:
... and they say all unsold copies will be destroyed when the sale ends.

Where? Where do they say that, exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Destroying games makes sense to me. They don't want to completely undermine the value of their games. Selling for half price is one thing, but going below that hurts the value of all their other games. I won't spend $100 for a wargame, but then again, I'm not a grognard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barrett Bishop
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they are considering the value of the game in their decision. It seems much simpler than that. As I read it these aren't boxed games that are just sitting on a shelf waiting to be bought and shipped. To sell these the components would need to be boxed, then shrink wrapped, then packaged and shipped. Considering the physical size of the game, the extra handling and the extra cost associated with non-standard shrink wrap and shipping boxes would have to be considered. It reads like it would cost more than a "$20 fire sale" would net. If this is the case, then it would be cheaper to destroy what is left over and than keeping the inventory on the books or selling at a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greywing wrote:
D_Wessman wrote:
... and they say all unsold copies will be destroyed when the sale ends.

Where? Where do they say that, exactly?

"It was a grand experiment, and it did produce a very nice package. Pick them up while you still can; if they're still here when we're done with the company reorganization I don't know if I can stop Beth from setting them on fire. We will employ the Viking Funeral sales pitch if we have to."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.