United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I was very happy about is the extra set of stickers that Simmons Games included with NT. When putting the stickers on the metal command stands for the first time, I dropped one. It was forever lost, but I had a spare!

Now my problem is durability. It seems that the little flag stickers won't stay stuck on a couple of the metal stands. I think this may be due to the fact that the stickers are slightly larger than the flags. So the stickers get caught on neighboring stands while stored in the box. I've had at least one fall off onto the floor. It stuck so well I had to scrap it off and use yet another spare. Not a big deal, but I'd like to avoid any more losses. God forbid a sticker got stuck to the actual game board! Has anyone else had a problem with their stickers coming off? Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening? I've thought about pulling out my hot glue gun, but this seems like overkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
Has anyone else had a problem with their stickers coming off?

Yes. I brushed on the flags two hands of the Revel no2 mat varnish i use for my painted figures. Problem solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Ratz
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a me too, as my stickers come off as well. I was thinking of trying super glue on one to see if that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Yes. I brushed on the flags two hands of the Revel no2 mat varnish i use for my painted figures. Problem solved!

Good idea, but did you have to trim the stickers first? It seems like the sticker overhang is a large part of the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I used superglue and varnish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just handpainted the various flags onto the metal stands and painted the commander names on the bases. whistle

I have the same problem with the stickers. I may try the varnish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:
I just handpainted the various flags onto the metal stands and painted the commander names on the bases. whistle

Oh excellent! I'll just send my set over to you for a new paint job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

Does this work really well? Does it look like there's a thick coating on them? Or is it mostly undetectable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the varnish, but I superglued all of my flags this morning. They're dry now, and I can confirm that they are all thoroughly stuck. Thanks for the tip, everyone!

I'll have to look into the varnish as a finishing step. I know it worked great on my Hammer of the Scots blocks, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have driven all over, and looked online, for this Revell #2 matte varnish. I can't find it anywhere. There a huge hobby store here that has a whole isle of paints/etc, and they've never heard of the stuff. Please link me to something I can get. Can I just use plain old clear wood varnish, or is modeling varnish something completely different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
go to your local hardware store & buy a bottle of Johnson's Future floor polish (Klear is a virtually identical product in the UK). It may be called 'wax' but it's actually a stunningly good acrylic varnish. Scale modellers have been shouting it's merits from the rooftops for years. It's completely clear, doesn't yellow, not too glossy (unless you brush on many, many coats), and strong enough... well, to walk on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I have driven all over, and looked online, for this Revell #2 matte varnish. I can't find it anywhere. There a huge hobby store here that has a whole isle of paints/etc, and they've never heard of the stuff. Please link me to something I can get. Can I just use plain old clear wood varnish, or is modeling varnish something completely different?

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/945_1_1025248.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long have you had your game?

I have had my game for more than two years now and the stickers are just as firm as the day I put them on.

But, before applying the stickers, I cleaned the metal pieces just in case there was a light oil residue or finger print residue.

The adhesive used for the stickers seem of very good quality - something I noticed when I applied the flag stickers.

I guess if my stickers do start to come off, I still have my spare set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I had a lot of problems with the stickers when I kept the commanders bagged - ever since letting them hang loose in the bottom of the box I haven't had nearly as much trouble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had any trouble yet. The stickers were slightly oversized, so I smoothed any excess over the edges. I didn't notice any mold-release residue on the parts and I applied the stickers after washing my hands. Hopefully that'll be sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had the game since it came out.

My stickers started to come off right away but only because they are slightly too big. I trimmed them down with a sharp hobby knife and have had no trouble since then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riptcord wrote:
The stickers were slightly oversized, so I smoothed any excess over the edges.

Looking at mine again it seems I did that too. Maybe that is another reason why I have had not problems with the stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.