3 Posts

Axis & Allies: 1942» Forums » General

Subject: Difference between this and revised? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that A&A revised is selling on ebay for around 70 bucks, so I'm thinking of perhaps doing a swap since this version is selling for 20 bucks online. What are the primary differences between the games, in both gameplay and component quality?

thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the new version

No research and technology
No Money/IPC's included
The cardboard bits are a little higher quality
More variety of ships
Not as many optional rules
Smaller Map
Prettier Map
IPC chart is on the board itself, hence why you have a smaller map
Some differences in setup
Victory conditions have been tweaked somewhat (number of victory cities needed).

A LOT of smaller minor differences that I'm probably not going to write them all down, I think I hit most of the major ones above in my very short terse manner there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
More variety of ships

It has been a while since I played Revised, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe '42 not only added the Cruiser class of ship, but also modified the properties for many of the other ships.

Ship attack/defense/cost
Subs 2/1/6IPC
Transports 0/0/7
Destroyers 2/2/8
Cruisers 3/3/12
Air Craft Carrier 1/2/14
Battleship 4/4/20

The fact that Transports cannot defend and also MUST be destroyed last after all the other ships drastically changes the game. Also, planes cannot hit Submarines unless a Destroyer is in the water, which makes them slightly safer.

I'm not sure if I like all these changes, but it certainly does changes some of the strategies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.