16 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules 1.4 question about the Dwarf. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
Mostly the rules are self explaintory and easy to follow.

We play the Dwarf as he can still use the attack bonus for the edged weapon if equiped even if the weapon cannot be used due to a Battle Effect, But if the Dwarf's strength is reduced to where he can no longer equip the weapon he does not get the bonus for a edged weapon.

Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am almost 100% that you are correct, if he can't equip it then he does not gain the added bonus attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel hansen
United States
Wautoma
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your explanation, and i agree that the rules are easy to follow.

I hope people open the 1.4 rules and enjoy. they are simple to start playing with, especially if you start with the beginner setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamos wrote:

We play the Dwarf as he can still use the attack bonus for the edged weapon if equiped even if the weapon cannot be used due to a Battle Effect, But if the Dwarf's strength is reduced to where he can no longer equip the weapon he does not get the bonus for a edged weapon.

Is this correct?

This is kind of a tricky area because the bonus is for equipping the weapon. The current idea is that once you equip something you are considered to have been equipped for the remainder of the fight. However, I think that this strength reduction should remove the weapon and the equipped status. I would play as the bonus not counting, but HONESTLY I don't think thats how the rules stand at the moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
slaqr wrote:
Jamos wrote:

Is this correct?

This is kind of a tricky area because the bonus is for equipping the weapon. The current idea is that once you equip something you are considered to have been equipped for the remainder of the fight. However, I think that this strength reduction should remove the weapon and the equipped status. I would play as the bonus not counting, but HONESTLY I don't think thats how the rules stand at the moment...

We thought the rules mean if a battle effect restricts the use (i.e. Monster that's immune to edged weapons) the dwarf still has the weapon equiped he just doesn't get any bonus from the weapon, but Does get the extra inherient benefit from having a edged weapon equipped. This is different than the Dwarf cannot even equip the weapon due to low strength. But a official ruling would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamos wrote:
slaqr wrote:
Jamos wrote:

Is this correct?

We thought the rules mean if a battle effect restricts the use (i.e. Monster that's immune to edged weapons) the dwarf still has the weapon equiped he just doesn't get any bonus from the weapon, but Does get the extra inherient benefit from having a edged weapon equipped. This is different than the Dwarf cannot even equip the weapon due to low strength. But a official ruling would be nice.

See, the issue is that you equip weapons BEFORE battle effects take place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
slaqr wrote:
Jamos wrote:
slaqr wrote:
Jamos wrote:

Is this correct?

See, the issue is that you equip weapons BEFORE battle effects take place...

Ok no problem the dwarf will still gets the bonus. We will change it in our games.

Maybe a clarification in the rules is needed in the Glossary that says Reduced Strength can cause you to not be able to use Weapons (instead of Reduce Stregth can cause Weapons to become unequipped). i.e. you still have it equipped but cannot use it due to low strength (can't lift it).

Either way its fine we will start playing it that way.
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamos wrote:
Ok no problem the dwarf will still gets the bonus. We will change it in our games.

Maybe a clarification in the rules is needed in the Glossary that says Reduced Strength can cause you to not be able to use Weapons (instead of Reduce Stregth can cause Weapons to become unequipped). i.e. you still have it equipped but cannot use it due to low strength (can't lift it).

Either way its fine we will start playing it that way.
thanks!

No worries! I will, however, be making sure of this ruling with jim pinto and Mike ASAP and will clarify it either in this post, or in a new post, as soon as I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just seems strange that the dwarf would still get the bonus even if he no longer has the strength to wield an edged weapon. Maybe I am being too picky, but I really don't understand how this makes any sense thematically speaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
Zadok13 wrote:
I just seems strange that the dwarf would still get the bonus even if he no longer has the strength to wield an edged weapon. Maybe I am being too picky, but I really don't understand how this makes any sense thematically speaking.

Ya this is about the only rule we are not clear on.
We still play that if he cannot wield it due to strength loss that he loses the bonus..may not be official but makes the most sense thinking of it thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zadok13 wrote:
I just seems strange that the dwarf would still get the bonus even if he no longer has the strength to wield an edged weapon. Maybe I am being too picky, but I really don't understand how this makes any sense thematically speaking.

In this case the bonus is actually because the Dwarf is uber pissed at losing his strength so what started out as an edged weapon bonus converts to a rage bonus.

Will that work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
Rastak wrote:
Zadok13 wrote:

In this case the bonus is actually because the Dwarf is uber pissed at losing his strength so what started out as an edged weapon bonus converts to a rage bonus.

Will that work?

The way the rules are written is yes the Dwarf still gets the extra inherient bonus..he just loses the attack for the edged weapon. Maybe he just needs the edged weapon by his side to deal more damage..etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamos wrote:
Rastak wrote:
Zadok13 wrote:

Will that work?

The way the rules are written is yes the Dwarf still gets the extra inherient bonus..he just loses the attack for the edged weapon. Maybe he just needs the edged weapon by his side to deal more damage..etc.

Correct, the Dwarf KEEPS his bonus from equipping the weapon even after the weapon "falls off" from lack of strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Zadok13 wrote:

Will that work?

Ha! That works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Correct, the Dwarf KEEPS his bonus from equipping the weapon even after the weapon "falls off" from lack of strength.

OK. I think I see why the card says Attached instead of Equipped. Attached means "Equipped before the battle, but not necessarily equipped throughout the battle".
Is this correct?

It implies that the Dwarf gets the attack bonus from an edged weapon when attacking a Noxious Slag, which is immune to edged weapons, because the weapon is still "attached", albeit useless.
Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
Robert Olesen wrote:
slaqr wrote:

OK. I think I see why the card says Attached instead of Equipped. Attached means "Equipped before the battle, but not necessarily equipped throughout the battle".
Is this correct?

It implies that the Dwarf gets the attack bonus from an edged weapon when attacking a Noxious Slag, which is immune to edged weapons, because the weapon is still "attached", albeit useless.
Is this correct?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.