San Juan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Too Many Cards In Hand End of Round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kleiner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
This really gets to me about ending up with more than 7 Cards in Hand by End of Round. If you end up with more than 7 Cards(You can put one under your Chapel if its 8), you get executed. Here are ways it can happen. Like if I have Prefecture where Concillor either gets to keep 2 out of 2 or 2 out of 5 instead of 1. Or if you are the trader and you have the trading post and you trade in production goods on three places you can end up with more than 8 cards than you have to wish you owned that tower unless someone else after you choses builder and you build a most expensive building you can get executed by end of round of more than 7 or 8 and you can put one under the Chapel. If someone else choses trader and I have the Trading Post am I allowed to just Trade one card if I have 5 or 6 in hand and don't have the Tower, and just trade for 1 on Indigo and not have one of the Market Buildings where I get an extra card. At least Poor House after building doesn't get you executued at end of round but if the last player picks Concillor and I have Prefecture and I get two more cards then I can be executed for having 9 cards. Please help me out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by getting executed?

All that happens if you have too many cards is that you need to discard down to 7.

During your trade phase, you don't have to trade more than one good if you will end up discarding the cards anyways. However, drawing over 7 is not the end of the world, because you might draw something good, then you can discard something less useful from your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall an execution rule in San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Wyman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you're playing San Quentin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Heis
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlos Palomino wrote:
Perhaps you're playing San Quentin?

Hehe - very good!

OP I think we're all confused why you seem so stressed by this happening from time to time - of course when it happens it's a tad annoying - but executed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Alas, I don't think we'll hear a clarification of his question...I just heard the terrible news...seems our friend juggamebuck had the gall to prance around with 15 cards in his hand and is no longer with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing worse than a rules Lawyer is a rules Executioner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juggamebuck wrote:
Please help me out.

build more, trade less, build tower, build chapel, pick your role so you won't have so many leftover cards ... as pointed out, it's not necessarily a bad thing as at end of game you may be going for bonus points and not care about discarding stuff ... i hardly remember this happening to me, but i play mostly 2 player games ... if opponent your opponent picked councillor forcing you to discard, would you rather they just have prospecte and you not get a free chance at better card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.