Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lee freeman
United States
florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First off, let me say that I think Summoner Wars is a great game. I just got through playing a couple of games with my 7 and 12 year old sons -- they love it, as do I. It's a very quick and tactical combat game. I love the fact that you can set this up in 2 minutes and start battling immediately, unlike Heroscape, which I am not overly fond of.

Does anyone EVER use the Hero is Born card? I have played probably a dozen or so games, and I've yet to use the card -- except to place it in my magic pile. With only 31 cards in a deck, and 3 champions, you are very likely to draw a champion in the first few rounds of the game, especially with a deck burning deck like the Goblins where you are almost drawing 4-5 new cards each turn. And if I draw the Hero card on turn one, I will not have the magic to use the card and summon the champion anyway. It seems to me that this card would have benefited from an added ability -- maybe a -1 to summon cost?

Great game Colby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also really like to know the answer to this question. Does anyone ever use it?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
once.

When all 3 of my heroes were at the bottom.

I was stacking magic and never got one in 14 draws.

Other than that, it is a great magic card Dp

I think it is more useful when you are a bit screwed in your drawing, so it can balance the game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it once ... and the Hero I wanted was on the very top of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stegner
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I too used it once... when I had a lot on my magic pile.. but yeah, usually it is the first card to GO in the magic pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It usually goes to my magic pile too. I designed it into the game mostly in anticipation of deck building creating strategies where a particular hero is a lynch pin in a players strategy. I wanted to double the chances of getting any one particular hero that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely use it either. I find that when I play with kids, they generally use it, because they like to play a lot of their events, and there might be some Champion that they really like, such as Fire Drake or Krung.

Oddly, the faction that I most often find myself wanting a specific hero with is the Cave Goblins. Sometimes I really want Mook or something, and he might be way on the bottom. When I play the PE or TO's especially, I'll usually just try to dump my hand on the 2nd or 3rd turn to get enough Magic in my pile (5 or 6) to at least be able to summon 2 out of the 3 Champions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recall ever using it.

It strikes me as a card with a limited window of opportunity. It has to arrive early enough in the battle when I have an idea on how I want to play, but at the same time arrive without any champions. There are few champions I would be willing to ignore if they showed up in my first or second hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it perfect for those times you've got a lump of cards in your Magic Pile and want to spend it on something fun. Most recently I killed a juiced-up Blarf and realized I could summon Krung, and AHiB made it possible for the big guy to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quintal
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's tough as an event card because you need to plan for the next round with it. [Meaning whoever you search for, you would potentially summon them during your next turn's summon phase].

It works well if you already have one champion in your hand already to get out on the field and you're just searching for an on-deck designated hitter for subsequent rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the original question, yes, it has been used in some of the games i have played.
It´s situational because if it´s not useful when you draw it you don´t have any reason to keep it in your hand.
It is powerful when you make good use of it, take into account that having a Champion summoned 1 turn earlier can win you the game (for example, getting Gror into your hand when you already have a Heroic Feat, dropping enough magic to summon him).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be tons better if you would be able to summon the champion the same turn. Now it goes to your hand and you have to wait another turn before your champion turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee freeman
United States
florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I agree -- that would be nice.

This would also let you summon the champion to a newly placed wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
leefreeman wrote:
Yeah, I agree -- that would be nice.

This would also let you summon the champion to a newly placed wall.

Which could mean that said champion could start on your opponent's side of the map when that possibility hadn't existed at the end of the opponent's turn.

It's easy to see why things like that are prevented by the rules - it'd make for awfully cheesy wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.