Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fight for the Sky is a great little board game that captures the flavor of one of the phases during the Battle of Britain very well. However, the game is not perfect, but then, what board game is? One of the few issues I have noticed from other gamers and myself is in regards to some of the game counters. While very simple and nice for their time (1982), most players have difficulty at times trying to read the Luftwaffe counters. Some find it pressing to read the tiny black ID numbers (or even the Maltese cross position) on the dark gray counters.

Well, one day I decided to do something about that. At the back of the rule book there is representation of the counters in the game. What I did was to make a Xerox copy (slightly larger of course) of this and proceeded to make a new set of counters for the Luftwaffe player. In the end, I now have contrasting black and white counters that measure 18mm square - the original counters in the game are 14mm square. These new 18mm counters are much easier to read and manage (moving and stacking). The steps I took to make them were:
1) Took the rule book to a Xerox machine.
2) Copied the counter page, but increased the size.
3) Sprayed the unprinted side with adhesive.
4) Then affixed to craft board.
5) I carefully cut out the Luftwaffe counters.

Recommendations:
* Use 3M brand "77 Super Spray Adhesive" (great stuff).
* The craft board should be about the same thickness as the original counters. A little thicker is okay, though it might be a little harder to cut out the counters (or make clean cuts).

Picture 1/2

Picture 2/2

Don’t worry about the back side of the Luftwaffe counters. The counters spend most of their time face up anyway, but you can make a cover counter to place on top if needed. Yes, I know that means you will have a stack of seven counters, but it is only temporarily as it is cover a marker and nothing else. Once the formation stack is revealed (very early on) you don’t need it anymore. Remember though, the Luftwaffe player can change the top counter every turn in an attempt to confuse the RAF player.

Also, I only made Luftwaffe counters and didn’t bother with the RAF counters. Why? Well, the black printing on light blue is already easy to read, and RAF counters only stack two high. Sure, something bigger might help, but I think I’m just going to make improved color counters when and if I redo the all the counters. But for the Luftwaffe counters, these simple large black and white counters is an improvement and really helps game play I think.

I hope this information is useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.