United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't explain this very well. The rules state:

To confront the effects of a successful Hunt, the Free Peoples player can
either use the Ring (increasing the Corruption of the Ring-bearers) or
fight (which will cause casualties among the Fellowship).
• If he uses the Ring, he advances the Corruption Counter on the
Fellowship Track by a number of steps equal to the Hunt Damage.

Ok, so I'm playing the Shadow and I get a successful hunt and draw a tile with a 3 on it that would do 3 corruption to the Ring Bearer, how can they use the Ring to help? I mean he's going to take corruption anyway so what does he benefit by using the Ring? What is the mechanic for using the Ring? What if the tile drawn is an eye tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the Ring just means taking Corruption. The relevant game wording would be taking corruption, and the thematic wording would be to "use the Ring".

Bataar wrote:
What if the tile drawn is an eye tile?

It depends on what stage of the game the Fellowship (FSP) is in.

Outside Mordor:
If an Eye tile is drawn, Hunt damage is equal to the number of successes rolled for that Hunt, in addition to any other effects that may be on the tile (i.e. Revealed).

Mordor Track:
If an Eye tile is drawn, Hunt damage is equal to the number of dice in the Hunt Box, including any blue FP dice from a previous FSP move. Again, there may be additional effects from an Eye tile, such as Reveal and/or Stop.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number on the tile is "hunt damage".
If it's an eye and the Fellowship is not in Mordor then the damage is equal to the amount of successes rolled in the hunt roll.
If it's an eye and the Fellowship is in Mordor then the damage is equal to the amount of dice in the hunt box.

Now, the Free Peoples must to choose whether to take this damage as corruption (term: "using the ring")

OR

by eliminating a character (term: "fight").
If he chooses to eliminate a character then he must choose if he wants to eliminate the current leader of the Fellowship OR choose a random character. The eliminated character's level is subtracted from the hunt damage.
So if you draw a tile with 3 damage and he decides to eliminate the leader Gandalf, who is level 3, then the fellowship takes 0 corruption (3 - 3 = 0).
If he chooses randomly and it's Gimli, who is level is 2, then the remaining 1 damage must be taken as corruption (3 - 2 = 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Outside Mordor:
If an Eye tile is drawn, Hunt damage is equal to the number of successes rolled for that Hunt, in addition to any other effects that may be on the tile (i.e. Revealed).

Hope this helps.

So what your saying is, "IF" you rolled 4 'combat' dice, and had a total of 2 6's, you would add 2 for damage when you drew an eye tile? (Only 1 #6 die is needed for a successful hunt though)

Still new at this myself..

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. In your example, if you had 4 eyes in the hunt box, you would be rolling four d6's with each 6 rolled being a successful hunt if it was the first time the FSP was moving that turn. If they are moving a 2nd time, you get a +1 chance, so would roll four d6's needing 5's for successes. Each time the FSP moves in the same turn you get another +1. (so 3rd move in a turn succeeds on 4's, etc...) Typically any dice used by the FP to move the FSP just are put in the hunt box with the eyes to remember you get a +1 for every blue die in there from previous moves.

Note too, if the FSP marker is in a region with a shadow stronghold, army or nazgul (it's last known position) you get a re-roll for each, to the maximum of eyes you have in the hunt box. (ie. If if you only have 1 eye in the box but a nazgul and army in the FSP region, you could get 2 re-rolls, but since you only have 1 die in the hunt box, you just get 1 re-roll if the first one misses)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Kevin, your answer above was a question I had a week. Nice to see it confirmed again! HAHA

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
kwojtasz wrote:
Note too, if the FSP marker is in a region with a shadow stronghold, army or nazgul (it's last known position) you get a re-roll for each

You should always make re-rolls even if the roll itself is successful. This way, you'll maximize damage in case an eye is drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.