Popular Tags: GenCon [+] GenCon2010 [+] [View All]
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to be hitting up the publishers for newer games this year. I remember this being a slight oversight in past years. Newer games would make the library so much better. Cons are all about 'try before you buy'. I'm sure many would donate copies of their games for just that cause.

Also, what's going on with the space this year? Are you sharing space with Mayfair again? In the same room? Cuz let me tell ya... that sucked.

I'm also curious about the hike in price. Was the replacement of damaged/stolen games not figured in when this originally started? Does GC take too big of a cut for you to be able to do that? Was the theft ratio that much higher last year? And what will the new price be?

Maybe you should put meeple shaped ink bombs in all the games. You could set them to explode after 24 hours unless checked back in. That'll show all those rotten theives!

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but inquiring minds and all that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good news.

For the pic, just upload the pic to your gallery in your profile. Then note the number on the pic (i.e. 534899). Then when you edit or reply with a new post, click on the little picture of a camera and enter the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like some welcome improvements. The room size/sharing issue last year was pretty awful, so I'm glad to hear the board games library will be getting its own space.

Has there always been a charge for the library? I heard a few people grumbling last year about how the charge was new, but I really thought that there's been a price (either flat for a board game pass or in tickets), for a number of years.

I'll definitely check out the improvements this year, but I'm going to put off buying a pass until I see what the room and selection are like. I bought my pass last year and I think we only used it for a couple of hours one night because it was nearly impossible to find anything newer than a few years old to play and if you did turn up a game (I believe we settled for El Grande and Humans!), it was equally difficult finding a space to set up shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee - that is all great news, thanks for all the hard work so so far ahead of GC, that so sucks people steal games, I am very sorry to here that, 35 is a whole lot of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of codes from Lee Himself;

BGM1009814 Gen Con Board Game Library - Thursday Pass
BGM1009817 Gen Con Board Game Library - Friday Pass
BGM1009818 Gen Con Board Game Library - Saturday Pass
BGM1009824 Gen Con Board Game Library - Library Card

I thought I would include the daily passes as well as the show pass, just in case someone is only coming for the weekend or FR/SA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Show your support for the Open Game Room, buy the Library Card - I hardly used mine last year ( my back went out on me so no late night gaming for me ) - but I was happy to be able to support such a wonderful undertaking that the Library offers us! If more people support the library then it will get more and more table every year ( and game )and that means more boardgames being played !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to donate games from Indie Cards and Boards - Triumvirate, Filipino Fruit Market, Haggis.

Please geekmail me with address to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GCBGHQGuy wrote:
For those that have already purchased a Library Card, you will be able to get it refunded.

Can I ask how it will be refunded? Will you do it with cash, or do I need to do it through GC? The reason I ask is that GC is only doing refunds if you get the refund before the pre-reg date. And then they charge you 5% of the ticket! After that they are giving you system credit. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Lee,

WOW; what a great offer, that is very very cool, thanks so much for that great offer, I am thinking of donating a game, but then I want all my games, I would hate to part with any of them, lol!

But for people who have a favorite game that is not in the library this is a great chance to get a free library pass, and get there game at GC every year in the library so they don´t have to lug it with them every year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get Volunteers who know at least 50 - 100 games ( maybe just 30 or more really popular ones? )and they have a list of games they can teach and play with people - it cost 2 tickets to have your personal geek teach and play a game from the library with you - the one ticket is for Library and GC ( or you have a library card and do not have to pay this ticket ) and the 2nd is for the geek to pay for his time ( not official GC volunteers - just Geeks from the BGG who would be willing to sit there for 1-4 hours and if they teach someone a game and of course play said game -- they are getting a generic ticket out of it and the Library gets a Generic ticket out of it) Not sure if it would work or if anybody would be willing to do it, but you have a list printed out of games that you know but it is more a thing where when people ask if you can teach a game you would just tell them yes or no you can or can not teach that game. if you can´t and there is a volunteer geek behind you and he can then he gets the call and earns a ticket. Or you could give them your list and say no but here are the games I can teach you guys if you want - if no back up geek was there who knew how to play the game.
I would sign up for a couple of hours and donate any tickets I earned to the library I would guess - late night of course.

Just a weird thought on how the Library could make extra $.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense, I am there to game and game only.

Sorry to here you are short still on volunteers!

I love the who Library gig, I am looking forward to having friend teach me a few games with out either of us lugging it there - Kingsburg to name one. I want to try a few games before I buy them for a change and I thought this is the perfect venue for that,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GCBGHQGuy wrote:
If your strange like I am, it provides the means to put smiles on peoples faces as well.

Sounds good to me Lee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can add a copy of Hagoth: Builder of Ships and a Crokinole (sorely needed IMHO) from Mayday Games too!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42969/hagoth-builder-...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/521/crokinole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Cronkinole Board - how Fricking good - MAYDAYGAMES RULES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the Crokinole! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You know, this year, I had planned to - hoped to - pre-reg for events. Nothing I want to play has any slots left and the vast majority of what is going on is total crap I am not interested in... I just want to sit around and game.

So, you know what? I'm buying a full time badge for the game library again this year. It's been the only worthwhile event registration... so, I'll be looking to connect with fellow geeks at the Gencon library for some gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GCBGHQGuy wrote:
This does however cement a policy of 'No Open Play' in the Library area this year.

Is it kosher for me to bring my own copy of a game to play if I have a full time badge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Is it kosher for me to bring my own copy of a game to play if I have a full time badge?

Excellent question...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the answer I was looking for. Why wouldn't a person who has payed to rent games as often and as many times as they wish, throughout the entire con, not be able to use it for a game that you don't have in stock.

What you're saying is that as long as I'm renting something, I can use a table. So I could check out a copy of Race for the Galaxy thereby 'renting' it, and sit it on the table next to me while I pull out a copy of Glory to Rome. I'm 'renting a game' so I should get table space. This disallows someone else from being able to play that copy of Race for the Galaxy.

I think an allowance needs to be made for the people who committed to a full weekend rental from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
You know, this year, I had planned to - hoped to - pre-reg for events. Nothing I want to play has any slots left and the vast majority of what is going on is total crap I am not interested in...

If you want to learn and/or play Crokinole, Space Junkyard or Hagoth: Builder of Ships, there are still spaces left for all three of them in the GenCon Events. You can have us teach them to you, or just play them if you already know how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GCBGHQGuy wrote:
Yet I cannot treat people who do not purchase Weekend or Day Passes like they are less valuable.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I am buying a Weekend Pass - a pass to the game library, listed in the event guide as costing $24. Instead of taking a game out of the library, can I bring my own copy of a game and play it? I am not asking about playing without a pass. I am asking about playing my own copy of a game if I already have a pass.

As an aside, I note in your post you mention that there is no guarantee of a seat to play a game if you have a Weekend Pass. This would be a very grave disappointment to me - if I have paid the rather hefty price for a Weekend Pass, then I expect when I get to the Library room that there will be seating. In the past, it was never an issue, so I'm sure this is just a misunderstanding on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
maydaygames wrote:
If you want to learn and/or play Crokinole, Space Junkyard or Hagoth: Builder of Ships, there are still spaces left for all three of them in the GenCon Events...

I've made a special resolution this year to learn and play Crokinole, so perhaps I will take you up on that one... I don't know the first thing about the other two.

Sadly, I'm not much of a "demo" person unless I am giving the demonstration. I'm really looking more to do heads down full time gaming, but your reminder certainly piques my curiosity... thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GCBGHQGuy wrote:

To be blunt ... no, you cannot bring in a game of your own and play on a library table at any time.

Interesting. I am welcome to come and play a game if I take it out of the library of games, but I am not welcome to play my own copy of a game... I can only use more gaming resources, not less.

Hmm... well, this strongly discourages me from buying a badge or using the game library at all. I'll have to consider my options at this point. Thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GCBGHQGuy wrote:
I cannot however afford to lose more games (35 missing already ... $1000+).

How would playing my own copy of a game cause the library to lose a copy?

Just to be clear, you did note I am talking about a Game Library weekend pass, right? Already paying to use the library, could already take a copy out of the library... might just not find anything I want to play in the library.

Game libraries are great things. They only have on tragic flaw - the same flaw all sorts of libraries have. The thing you want is not there. One way to be sure I would have the thing I want would be to bring my own copy.

I totally understand that it is not open gaming. That is why I stated I would pay for a weekend long library pass. But, it sounds like I am strictly restricted to the contents of the library. The weekend long library pass was already very expensive, but to insist that I must find something in the library I want to play when I use it may very well push it out of the realm of usability to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all extremely disappointing. I guess I'm turning into one of those ala carte guys you mentioned. If things get sorted out like you hope, I'll be back in 2011.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lee, just wanted to say thanks for your continued efforts in bringing up the boardgaming at GenCon. I enjoy the library for those early morning wake-up events and some lazy relaxing in the evening.

Looking forward to the Origins-style open gaming as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.