Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have now played 2 games, so apologies for my newbie questions relating to monsters that appear as a result of location or other world cards.

1. Location

"A gate and monster appears" - if this happens at a location that has been sealed, then the gate cannot appear.

Does the monster appear even though there is no gate?

If so, does the monster remain on the board after the encounter? (The rules say "When a monster but not a gate appears in an encounter, the monster does not stay on the board", but I wondered if they meant when a card only specifies that a monster appears)

I assume that since no gate could be added, then no doom token gets added to the track - am I correct?

2. Other World

These monsters are removed if evaded or beaten in combat. Are they removed immediately after the encounter? In our last game, we had two investigators in the same other world location. The first player to act ended up with a monster appearing. He chose to evade. We wondered if the second investigator also had to deal with the monster. We ruled that he did not. I am pretty confident we ruled correctly but thought I'd check.

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The monster is supposed to come through the gate, so if the location is sealed, no gate; no monster; no doom.

2. You were correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
1. If the gate is sealed, no gate appears, no monster pops out of it and no doom token is added to the track.

2. If an encounter reads "a monster appears" or anything else like it, the monster is resolved completely and never stays on the board. If it's killed, it's claimed as a trophy (unless it's endless, of course) and if it's evaded it's returned to the monster cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that in #1, getting "a monster appears" would mean no monster either. Seal at the location blocks this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Rauli

That's an interesting interpretation. I've always treated the monster the same as if there had been no gate there in the first place.

I always felt that the lone monster, without the gate, was already in the building, broke down the door or crashed through the wall into the location from outside.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Once these actions have been taken, the gate is now
sealed: No further gates can open and no monsters can
appear at the location of the sealed gate for the remainder
of the game." (p. 18)

Prohibits any monster from appearing at the sealed location. Doesn't stop Stalkers, Hound of Tindalos or Hunting Horror from moving there though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dam brings up an often overlooked point (implied in Tor's response as well):

The Seal stops monsters equally as well as gates. It is not the seal stopping the gate which in turn stops the monster. It is the seal that directly stops the mosnters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The Seal stops monsters equally as well as gates. It is not the seal stopping the gate which in turn stops the monster. It is the seal that directly stops the mosnters.

OK so does that mean that if there is a location card that directs me to have an encounter with a monster (not "gate + monster") at a location that has been sealed, then that encounter does not happen either? (As I say, I have only played 2 games and I cannot recall if there even is such a card, but it is best to be sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gnomus wrote:
Quote:

OK so does that mean that if there is a location card that directs me to have an encounter with a monster (not "gate + monster") at a location that has been sealed, then that encounter does not happen either? (As I say, I have only played 2 games and I cannot recall if there even is such a card, but it is best to be sure).

Just the monster is prevented from appearing. If the encounter involves other things, such as performing checks or whatever, you would still do those. But you are still considered to have "had an encounter" - in other words, you don't draw again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Colts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Still learning.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.