Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Stegner
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First off...I absolutly love this freakin game! I have one minor quibble though. In some games, the aquired XP cards seem to pile up and not get used. Then, at the end of the game they are worthless. There should be a mechanic that allows you to use these cards for...something. Any ideas?

How about: At the end of the game, you may "spend" three unsued xp cards to "purchase" one victory point. Or maybe: When in the dungeon or village, you may pay 2 xp to draw 1 card into your hand? I dunno...

Any better ideas?

AEG, can you comment on if there will be a mechanic to address this in the expansion? Did you guys expirence this in playtesting?

Thanks guys,

-Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
If your XP cards are piling up, it's because you're making a deliberate decision to keep fighting in the dungeon without going back to town, which means you're getting a reward (VPs from defeated monsters) for your choices already.

The game already makes the town a massively inferior choice to going to the dungeon, and making XP give you benefits outside of the town would just weaken the town even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must say I agree, fwiw. Has the OP ever lost a game despite having more XP in hand at end-of-game? I haven't seen that yet; usually a player w/tons of unused XP is cleaning up in the dungeon already.

Nothing to stop you (OP) from trying a house rule out and seeing if it works for you. Let us know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiberiusdw wrote:
Must say I agree, fwiw. Has the OP ever lost a game despite having more XP in hand at end-of-game? I haven't seen that yet; usually a player w/tons of unused XP is cleaning up in the dungeon already.

I don't know about the OP, but I certainly have. One of my early games was particularly heart-breaking, since I had about 10 XP left over and lost by 2 victory points.

Not that I disagree with your premise: it makes the village more attractive in the endgame, which makes for a more interesting decision tree. But I have seen the situation first hand, and even went back through the rulebook to make sure there wasn't some scoring rule we'd missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see having left over XP a problem at the endgame. How many games out there are there where the money/currency you collect during the game to buy stuff means absolutely nothing at the end game?

I just see XP just like any other game currency, you either choose to use it or not. It makes for some interesting decisions in regards to if you want to level your guys up or not and maybe try to get one of those level three characters are worth victory points.

Though if they ever do a campaign setting for this game it would be cool to have some XP carry over into your next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the XP buildup can sometimes be annoying, but I also agree that using them to get more VP without going to the village could be unbalancing because you are already getting the VP from going to the dungeon all the time (which is why they are building up). The one idea I had was maybe some big ticket item in the village that could be bought with XP only. Then you would need to decide if you want to level up or save some up and purchase something big. This would also be a draw to go to the village. Maybe only have one or two available to give some risk to hoarding the XP. Something like a Keep or Stronghold that would give you VP at the end, and maybe allow you to draw an extra card each hand or some such thing. Just some thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I have only played once, with a bunch of other new players so this might be an odd case. I ended up with something like 5 xp left over, and so did several of my opponents. The reason for this was that everyone was purchasing the high-level hero cards instead of waiting to draw and then upgrade their low-level heroes. This lead to a run on those cards. Anyone that waited, hoping to upgrade using XP instead of buying the card outright, was out of luck. Anyone else have an experience like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Furunkulus wrote:
How many games out there are there where the money/currency you collect during the game to buy stuff means absolutely nothing at the end game?

Several, but clearly we are not talking about game end, and the others in this category temporarily escape me.

Perhaps it would have been better if the heroes [and monsters] were not quite so uniform. Players are locked into their first purchase to a degree, so it makes sense to continue buying or levelling that hero type [the strongest one being the most desirable], which doesn't make the game any more interesting. Perhaps it would have been better if money and XP were required to buy heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stegner
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the input thus far,

I played a game last night, and made an effort to use all my xp. Every time I could level up a milita, I did. It worked fairly well. I got rid of all of my milita early, gained more powerful heroes, and at the end of the game I only had one or two xp left over...also, I won by about 10 points (without even claiming the last monster/thunderstone ).

Maybe this is the solution to xp buildup, level up those milita when you have no heroes to level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yusuke Hasegawa
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/492109/pokemon-variant-2...
self-plug but I play a variant where we use xp and the monsters in our hand to interrupt other peoples dungeons phases. Cuts down on the xp build-up significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.