Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Bernhard Naegele
Germany
Wernau
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The week was short and now it is my duty and honor to pass the baton along to the next to wear the badge of honor labeled "Geek" with pride.

There are only two rules when selecting a new "Geek of the Week":

1) I could not know them personally; and
2) The person had to be from a different country than me.

My additional personal aspect of the search was to pick someone who has got to do with one of my main interests on bgg. Downloading files, print, glue, craft, tinker and process them till they are part of my game collection. That's why I picked someone who contributed files for the database, in this case für Memoir 44. That's why I as an Eurogamer, who possesses only a handful of wargames, passes the baton on to an wargamer.

You can learn more about Malcolm by visiting his Profile page:
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Malcolm has written a detailed biography, which appears below. I do want to be the first, however, to officially congratulate him.

Quote:
"One of the few things I have a passion for is games. I've always enjoyed playing and making games.

From a young age I was exposed to some of the classics. Risk was probably the first one that left an impression and turned out to be one of the only 'wargames' that I could convince friends to play. So I often played my wargames solo. Panzerblitz made the next big impression on me, that cover still strikes me to this day.

In junior high school, I got into Dungeons and Dragons in a big way! I loved the Basic game (red cover) and soon discovered 'Advanced'. I should mention at this point that I was a budding artist and D&D made for a great outlet for drawing characters. I also really enjoyed painting the miniatures.

I also got into designing games at an early age. I had 1:72 scale soldiers and tanks and improvised a game that I played in the lawn outside when I was 12. By the time I was 14, I had written an extensive set of rules for a mech combat game (sadly lost long ago).

I slowly got away from gaming in my later teens. My friends just weren't into it at the time. So I slumbered for quite sometime still dabbling on occasion. Axis & Allies and Space Marines filled some of my downtime while I was with the army.

Then I stumbled on a gem in my local thrift store about 12 years ago that awoke my interests again. A complete Mutant Chronicles - Siege of the Citadel for $5!

My wife wasn't a gamer at all until then. We soon ran through the missions and even modified the game to make our own version for 2 players (hardly recognizable as the same game anymore!). Things exploded from there. We soon discovered Battle Cry (thanks to the Geek!) while doing a search. I still recall reading the rules and instantly deciding "I need to paint these figures!". We loved it! Countless hours were spent playing BC. I soon discovered another Command and Colors game due to come out on the 65th anniversary of D-Day. My pre-order for Memoir '44 was in.

Since then, I have collected a number of games of a variety of styles. From the old hex and counter games I loved playing solo when I had all the time in the world to the eurogames that were so popular.

The old urges to design also cropped back up. Memoir '44 was the perfect outlet to explore some of the battles that I knew only vaguely about before. Want to learn some history? Try writing some scenarios, it's a great way to get into learning about what happened and fun in trying to recreate that. My goal with every Memoir '44 scenario is to learn something new!

This was taken to the next level with the idea of the Campaign. After playing so many one off scenarios, my wife and I decided to string some together in a very connected fashion so that one battle would influence the next. On an off chance, I decided to send the idea to Days of Wonder and they liked it. The Campaign Book was soon underway.

My latest effort was another challenge to myself. I recently discovered my great-grandfathers role in the Great War and soon looked into some of those battles. I wondered if it were possible to make a game that could already use parts that people own. Memoir '44 was a perfect choice. Soon Dire Heroes - Gas Attack at Ypres was born.

I look forward to doing more projects in the future. So many possibilities exist that simply weren't there a few years ago even (publish on demand, PnP productions, etc...). I would really like to take this opportunity to thank again all of the friends that I have made through the gaming world. Your support and encouragement motivates me heartily!

Thanks again to Bernhard for choosing me as Geek of the Week and to the Geek itself for making this site and community.

Now to the obligatory Two Truths and a Lie...

1) I was arrested as a terrorist in the UK
2) I slept in the streets of Paris
3) I was a United Nations Peacekeeper"

This one is tough and I pick #2 as the lie, but it's simply the least interesting one. Are you at NII, then this peacekeeping work is probably right?
What did you do being arrested as a terrorist? Did you bring german tactical WW2 maps to London? I really want to read the story!

1. What is the percentage of euros vs. wargames you play?
2. Does the history of your grandfather initiated you interest in history and wargame?
3. Do you know any of my games - at all?
4. Have you visited some of the battle sites of WWII, you are so interested in, or is it enough to see and play them with cardboard, miniatures, chits, cards and dice?

Congratulations, Malcolm, and have a fun week on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bernhard for choosing me!

I am at GottaCon this weekend running the Ticket to Ride tournament so some of my responses will be a little delayed until the week.

I have a few minutes before I go to answer your questions though.

1. the percentage is about 20% euros, 50% wargames and about 30% ameritrash.
2. Ironically no, I only recently uncovered my great-grandfathers role in the Great War. I've just always had an interest in the world wars in general.
3. Of the games you've designed? Yes, but only thanks to BGG I admit.
4. The battle sites are my top priority for the next time I go on a trip to Europe. While I have been a couple of times, I've never had the opportunity to see the battle fields and would really like to. Besides, I know so many people over there who I would love to play a face to face game of Memoir '44 with!

Thanks for making my week Bernhard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard N. wrote:

There are only two rules when selecting a new "Geek of the Week":

1) I could not know them personally; and
2) The person had to be from a different country than me.

Continent, not country - as the latter rule has been ignored a few times, I would like to point that out again, although in this case you did choose someone from a different continent.

And for you, GreenBear: Enjoy your week in the sun. Here's some questions for you:
- Are you aware of the difference between the words "Brummbär" (or Brummbaer) and "brummbar" in German?
- Your lowest rating is a 4.2. Did you really never play anything worse than that?
- A question to more or less all historical wargamers, but I will use the opportunity to ask you: What's the appeal of recreating historical battles? Is it trying to get to a different outcome than the "original" battle or recreating the same outcome? Would it be more rewarding for you to play the losing side of the original battle and come out on top? Or doesn't it matter at all?

Oh, and number 1 is the lie. You may have been arrested, but probably not as a terrorist. Difficult to say what the sentence means; under suspicion of being a terrorist? Or confused with an actual terrorist? Well, I guess we will find out in a few days. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to you Malcolm! I am pleased that our new GoW is (almost) a neighbor of mine, from the beautiful city of Victoria. Have a good week, and are you ready for the Olympics? Some of that will no doubt affect those of you in Victoria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:

And for you, GreenBear: Enjoy your week in the sun.

Thank you!

HilkMAN wrote:
Here's some questions for you:
- Are you aware of the difference between the words "Brummbär" (or Brummbaer) and "brummbar" in German?

No, please enlighten me. I rather hastily picked the handle when I signed onto the DoW forums. My normal monicker being GreenBear, I knew of the AFV and thought it was a good fit as a result (thinking Brummbär means Grizzly Bear...what would GreenBear be in German?)

HilkMAN wrote:

- Your lowest rating is a 4.2. Did you really never play anything worse than that?

Possibly, but maybe I've blotted it out of my memory! LOL! I've seen some pretty bad games...just never rated them I suppose.

HilkMAN wrote:

- A question to more or less all historical wargamers, but I will use the opportunity to ask you: What's the appeal of recreating historical battles? Is it trying to get to a different outcome than the "original" battle or recreating the same outcome? Would it be more rewarding for you to play the losing side of the original battle and come out on top? Or doesn't it matter at all?

This is a hard question. I'm not sure what appeals to me in wargaming. I find the history of it all fascinating. I'll have to think about this one more as I am about to head out the door!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Brummbär!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian,

The olympics? Are they going on again Just glad I'm not in Vancouver. It's been pretty quiet here so far. Must be our moat! LOL! Ok, I really have to be going...TTR tourney!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Malcolm! Congrats on the GotW selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Malcolm.
Well deserved honor for you!

Since you are Geek of the Week this week I need to play some of your Memoir scenarios and Dire Heroes.

Enjoy your week!

Stig Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenBear wrote:
HilkMAN wrote:

And for you, GreenBear: Enjoy your week in the sun.

Thank you!

HilkMAN wrote:
Here's some questions for you:

No, please enlighten me. I rather hastily picked the handle when I signed onto the DoW forums. My normal monicker being GreenBear, I knew of the AFV and thought it was a good fit as a result (thinking Brummbär means Grizzly Bear...what would GreenBear be in German?)

What's DoW and AFV? GreenBear in German would be GrünerBär (GruenerBaer if you want to avoid the umlauts). A Brummbär could be a friendly bear, but also a slightly grumpy person. Definitely not "grizzly". "Brummen" is a verb with several meanings, such as "to buzz", "to grumble", "to hum", even "to do time" and others. "Bar" could be just that, a "bar", but also the word part "-able". "Brummbar" thus could mean something like "hummable", "buzzable", but also a humming bar, whatever that would be. Many other meanings are thinkable, none of which having anything to do with a bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:

What's DoW and AFV?

DoW is Days of Wonder

AFV is Armoured Fighting Vehicle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATS TO YOU MALCOLM.
I HAVE CERTAINLY ENJOYED YOUR EFFORTS ON BEHALF OF THE MEMOIR 44 EXPANSIONS. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Wow, someone I know is GOW! Malcolm congrats! Well deserved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Ohi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
YAY, a chance to play games during the DAY!! (I am cursed with morning person genes)
badge
I tweet about board gaming at @BGGgirl, about writing/illustrating at @inkyelbows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Malcolm! Yay for Canucks!

Quote:
Memoir '44 was the perfect outlet to explore some of the battles that I knew only vaguely about before. Want to learn some history? Try writing some scenarios, it's a great way to get into learning about what happened and fun in trying to recreate that. My goal with every Memoir '44 scenario is to learn something new!

I've only recently started playing Memoir '44 and am new to wargames. What are the most recent Memoir scenarios that you've played? And do you have any suggestions about good scenarios for a newcomer to Memoir? So far I've played the Mont Mouchet and Pointe du Hoc scenarios.

Congrats again!

Debbie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Canucks, eh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Malcolm!

My guess is that #1 is the lie. Through Canadians are inherently suspect persons, the UK folks a very nice and would not do such a thing. Exchange UK with USA and I believe you on the spot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Malcolm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Malcolm! Have a great week in the spotlight!
I guess #3 is the lie.

Here are three of my favourite questions to you:

1) What is your favorite color? As a wargamer you most probably haven't to do with player colors much (at least they don't matter usually, I guess), but when playing euros, do you prefer a color there?

2) Say something bad about your most favorite game, and something good about your least favorite one!

3) Imagine a huge group of zombies is approaching your house and you have no time to waste. You can only take a single item with you. What item would that be? In case you didn't mention a board game, imagine there's enough time to take a single one with you - which one would you save and take with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:

As this was asked of all the readers...

The appeal of designing and/or playing a historical scenario is to see if one can do better or prevent the opponent from achieving their historical objectives. I rarely care which side I play but prefer to be on the historical losing side. The appeal of designing a scenario is purely personal. I enjoy learning more about the combatants as well as the historical reasons of the how's and why's events transpired the way they did.

It was not until I became involved with M'44 that I even really considered creating my own scenarios. Even more so after I started reading and playing some of Malcolm's scenarios.

His creativity in scenario design, miniatures painting and 3D terrain was what really drove me deeper into the Commands & Colors games as well as Tide of Iron. For this Malcolm I curse you and praise you at the same time. You helped open new doors of creativity for me to share with my children, at the pain of my wallet... LOL

Thank you for your contributions to the games we play and keep up the good work. I look forward to your future work and hope you expand on the Dire Heroes avenue as WWI needs a tactical aspect war game system... Maybe one to integrate with Wings of War because I have many miniatures.

I also agree that the "terrorist" answer is the lie... Hooligan maybe, terrorist no... more likely you were questioned under suspicion of being a terrorist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenBear wrote:
...Thanks for making my week Bernhard!

Malcolm,

It's about bloody time that one of our most industrious Geeks gets his week in the spotlight. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy your contributions.

Bernhard, that was an inspired choice. In fact it was

Pyuredeadbrilliant

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats GeenBear! Another of my favorite geeks that I just assumed was already a GotW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What luck to get GotW on the same weekend I am tied down at a game convention! Busy day yesterday, time to catch up!

Thanks Scrib, Stig, James, Alysa, Hilko (thanks for the German lesson!), salish99 (why aren't you at GottaCon?!), Alysa, Oliver, JT, StevenE (glad I could inspire you, a solid contributor yourself), Jim (for all of his encouragement over the years...keep dodgin' Jimmy!) and EricN (great A&A mini photos!).

Now to the questions...

Inkygirl wrote:

I've only recently started playing Memoir '44 and am new to wargames. What are the most recent Memoir scenarios that you've played? And do you have any suggestions about good scenarios for a newcomer to Memoir? So far I've played the Mont Mouchet and Pointe du Hoc scenarios.

Thanks Debbie and good questions. The most recent scenario I have played was the Sword of Stalingrad (the recent Overlord battle map). Great battle! For newcomers...I would have to plug one of my own. The Battle for the Bridgehead is a scenario that brings in the tanks (which is one of my favorite elements) and is a fairly open board. It also turned out to be quite balanced (according to the after action reports). I still enjoy playing that one. Welcome to Memoir '44!

Ponton wrote:
Congratulations, Malcolm!

Here are three of my favourite questions to you:

1) What is your favorite color? As a wargamer you most probably haven't to do with player colors much (at least they don't matter usually, I guess), but when playing euros, do you prefer a color there?

2) Say something bad about your most favorite game, and something good about your least favorite one!

3) Imagine a huge group of zombies is approaching your house and you have no time to waste. You can only take a single item with you. What item would that be? In case you didn't mention a board game, imagine there's enough time to take a single one with you - which one would you save and take with you?

Thanks Ponton. To answer your questions....
1) My favorite color...Green! Yes, I always prefer to play with it. It also happens to translate well to wargames. Olive drab, Field Green, Khaki! LOL!

2) Something Bad about M'44...the luck, sometimes, it can be mean! My least favorite game...hmmm...seeing as I rated Age of Mythology as my lowest (it probably isn't all that bad, just not what I expected) it did have really nice figures!

3) Dice! If I could only take one item, it would be dice. Small and compact yet a versatile component. I could make up my own games if I have dice.

Ok, all caught up. Sorry to be so long winded. The Ticket to Ride tournament wraps up today so I am off again!

Thanks again everyone! It's folks like you that let me know people do care and that the effort is worthwhile!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:

Since you are Geek of the Week this week I need to play some of your Memoir scenarios and Dire Heroes.

Not just yourself. Everyone should play Dire Heroes: Gas Attack at Ypres as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Malcom!!!
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Malcom.

I open with the 10 greatest interview questions ever, stolen from Proust/Pivot:
1. What is your favourite word?
2. What is your least favourite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? (or, what's your favourite drug?)
4. Whom would you put on a new currency bill?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favourite curse word?
8. What profession would you not like to do?
9. If reincarnation exists, in the form of which plant, tree, or animal would you like to return?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

to which I add:
11. Having lived in Victoria for a while, I really miss walking through James Bay. What's you favourite neighbourhood for strolling?
12. A visiting friend remarked that Victoria (especially downtown) feels like every other port for cruise ships (Seattle, Auckland, etc). What sets the queen's city apart?
13. What's the greatest threat to our world? What can each of us do to counter it?
14. In which way do you hope your life will be most different 10 years from now (any answer involving children doesn't count, as it's too easy)?
15. What's the best restaurant in your neighbourhood, and why?
16. Can the joy of wargaming be summed up in 'changing history'?
17. What are your favourite multiplayer wargames?
18. What's your favourite restaurant like?
19. How have the Olys affected Victoria thus far? If it were up to you, would they have come to BC?
20. Give us any 2010 olympic prediction.

2T&1L: I hope #3 is the lie. I have friends doing that dangerous, thankless work, and I don't wish it on anyone. It's also the easy choice because as far as #s 1 & 2 go: who hasn't?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.