Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take on turn 3 and the Ottomans, with a query at the end:

Assuming there are more Ottoman cubes than player cubes at the start of the turn 3 'enemies attack' phase, the Ottoman cubes in excess of the player cubes will attack into the Hapsburg box rather than into Little Poland as they would on turns 1, 2 and 4.

Then assuming the Ottoman cubes in the Hapsburg box survive the turn 3 'Poland fights back' phase, in the turn 3 'enemies expand' phase they will expand into Greater Poland (reducing the number of cubes placed by 2 to reflect the Ottomans' adventures in Vienna).

Question:
Is this the full extent of the Ottoman expansion for turn 3, or will they then also expand into Little Poland and Prussia (assuming there are more Ottoman cubes than player cubes in Great Poland) along the purple arrows (which are treated as orange after the fall of Vienna)?

I've played the former (i.e. turn 3 Ottoman expansion ends in Great Poland) but I can see a case for the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Jim Marshall wrote:
I've played the former (i.e. turn 3 Ottoman expansion ends in Great Poland) but I can see a case for the latter.

As far as I recall, Vienna, in such event, is treated as sixth regions from which Ottomans do expand in appropriate phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast feedback Lucasz.

I appreciate that the Ottomans expand from Vienna into Great Poland on turn 3, my question is do they stop expanding when they reach Great Poland, or do they then expand again (in the same expansion phase) along the purple arrows into Prussia and Little Poland?

My view is they would probably stop in Great Poland on turn 3, but on turn 4 (assuming they're taken Vienna on turn 3) will expand into Prussia and Little Poland, i.e.

~ Turn 3 - attack into Hapsburg box (Vienna) from Ottoman box, expand into Little Poland

~ Turn 4 - attack into Great Poland from Hapsburg box (assuming they took Vienna on turn 3), expand into Prussia and Little Poland (would only happen if there were no Ottoman cubes already in Little Poland, as enemies don't expand into regions they already occupy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Jim Marshall wrote:
My view is they would probably stop in Great Poland on turn 3, but on turn 4 (assuming they're taken Vienna on turn 3) will expand into Prussia and Little Poland, i.e.

Correct, they do stop in GP on turn 3. The only region they occupy on that turn is Vienna and from there they can only expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
~ Turn 4 - [Ottomans] attack into Little Poland [Great Poland of course - Andy] from Hapsburg box (assuming they took Vienna on turn 3), expand into Prussia and Little Poland

You're right, because:
Quote:
in the fourth turn if the Ottoman’s still occupy the Habsburg box they are regarded as being Habsburgs’, i.e. purple arrows should be considered orange ones.
(rulebook, page 9)

Purple arrows that point expansion directions from Great Poland into Prussia and Litlle Poland become orange in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Martin Wallace taught history for a living before he became game designer extraordinaire.
I think there is an argument both ways in the rules as written but the problem only occurs if you've let the game simulate the Ottomans taking (and keeping) Vienna.
My guess is that Martin, knowing his European history, would have set extreme consequences for such an event, and on that basis I go with the 'expand away' option. Even if I am wrong in game rules terms it makes more historical sense to have chaos ensue if the Ottomans get past the Danube and head for the Rhine and the Baltic sea.

thanks,

Howard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.