Subject: Games that teach a little history rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking for suggestions for historical themed games. Not so much war games, where you learn about a battle and then reenact it, but more like 1960: The Making of the President in which you are learning details and facts about that period of history while you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Britannia, Just before the last time I played I was reading "Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors" which had a chapter on the genetic history of Britannia and from the game I had some idea of the peoples who had invaded Britain and reading the book made me appreciate the game all the more.
The game itself has combat but the book implies the invaders made as much love as war.

God's Playground teaches a little about the history of Poland. The same book had a section on Anasazi Jews and how the had been the merchants of Europe but as the had to flee persecution many ended up in Poland as land managers, which is modeled in the game.

1830: Railways & Robber Barons or dozens of other railroad game are ment to model the expansion of the rail networks in a semi-historical fashion.

Here I Stand is a CDG much like 1960 with many historic events on the game cards. It does have combat but also model the Protestant reformations and the Catholic counter reformations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Britannia is the funnest history lesson I ever had.

More from the designers of 1960: The Making of the President:
Twilight Struggle
Founding Fathers
Campaign Manager 2008

Washington's War is technically a war game I guess but abstract and large-scale enough that you might like it. There are many other "war games" in this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga Despite its theme, there is actually very little warring in the game. It's prinicipally focused on establishing trading post and settlements, ranging from the British Isles and continental Europe, to North America, the Mediterranean, and Constantinople.

Princes of the Renaissance Uses historical characters from the Pope to the Borgias to famous artists. Warring does occur, but it is done for profit -- win or lose, the mercenary combatants earn cash -- and to raise or lower the prestige of the warring cities, which impacts final scoring. It's not about marching around the game board destroying your opponents.

Both games are fun to play, play in 1.5-2.0 hours, and capture the flavor of their respective periods. They may not have the level of detail of 1960 that simulations have, but they are educational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
How could I leave out Twilight Struggle? An obvious choice if you liked 1960. Lot of history there. Also 1989: Dawn of Freedom in the same fashion models the rise of democracy in the former soviet block, it is print and play which may or may not not appeal to you.

Tinners' Trail has just a touch of the history of mining tech in England and the invention of the steam engine and the Pasty, which has to be one of the best thtings ever invented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrononauts
Early American Chrononauts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WOW! Thanks for all the suggestions... looks like I got a lot to check out.
I really like war games, but the ones that I've played you learn about the history of the battle before the game starts while you set up the map, not so much while you play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nuclear Armageddon

Wait, what year is it again?

Crap. Mods, could you hide this post for a few years? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
PS

Check Free At Last if you feel up to PnP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lot's of great suggestions, including the tip that virtually any railroad game would fit. One that would be particularly interesting is Silverton. The designer lived in Silverton and was obviously a buff for the mining and narrow guage railroads of the Rockies. You'll learn a lot of geography, railroading, economics and the whole history of this special place.

(Yeah, I live here and am biased. But it is spectacular country and if you ever get to visit you can follow the jeep trails or mountain bike to visit the ghost towns or follow the old railbeds and still find spikes and old equipment. Just leave it for the next explorer OK)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God is a wargame, but it covers the entire 100 Years War at strategic level. Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan will be a good "wargame" choice as well.

Manifest Destiny teaches "a little" history.

And Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game teaches us how to survive the coming zombie apocalypse.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

And Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game teaches us how to survive the coming zombie apocalypse.

But when I have played the Zombies alway win, is the end near?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
History of the World

A lot more fun than it sounds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ahhh! Silverton (and Durango), I've had some great Mt. bike trips to your area.... never taken the train, but I do love that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be wrong, but I've a feeling that The Great Fire of London 1666 might.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.