Subject: A few questions about unclear rules... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Boosel
United States
New Wilmington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
1. Are there any starting hand mulligans?

2.How exactly does Steadfast work? If a card is Steadfast with 2 Cthulhu icons, does that mean I have to have at least 2 Cthulhu resources amongst ALL of my domains? Or 2 Cthulhu resources on each?

3.The card 'Pulled Under' reads "Action: Exhaust a character with at least two terror icons to choose and destroy an exhausted non-Ancient One character." Does this mean I can exhaust an opponents character with two terror icons, and then destroy another one of their non-Ancient One characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Not officially in the rules, but there's nothing stopping you from agreeing to allow mulligans.

2. Your first interpretation... you need at least 2 Cthulhu resources among all your domains.

3. I think something like this came up recently in rules questions here. The answer is no, when it says that you have to do something with a character as part of a payment cost that it has to be your own character.
(besides - think how ridiculously OP this would be if you could exhaust an opponent's char).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you are correct. The, "you can only pay costs with cards you control" seems to be pretty important in figuring out how some cards/abilities are supposed to interact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boosel
United States
New Wilmington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
What about sideboards in this game? Are there sideboards for when playing in a tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
MechSpike wrote:
What about sideboards in this game? Are there sideboards for when playing in a tournament?

No sideboards, and no mulligans in competitive tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boosel
United States
New Wilmington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Okay, I have an even bigger question actually.

How long do you have before you the requirements of a response trigger have worn off?

For instance, if a hypothetical card says "Response: If a character enters a discard pile from play...etc." when can you trigger this response if you ARE NOT the active player?

Let's say during my opponents operations phase, he plays a character. I then take my action and destroy that character with X card. I have to pass priority back to the active player and I can't activate my response because the character entered the discard pile? So what if he then plays an action? Can I then trigger my response?

The more I think about this, the more I assume I can trigger a response as long as the requirements were met within the same phase as I'm triggering it...if that makes sense.

So as long as a creature entered the discard pile at any point in time during this phase, I could trigger that ability?

Also, can I trigger that response more than once if I can pay for it?

Also is there a hand size limit?? Man I swear I post a question then an hour later I recall I have another I forgot to ask...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MechSpike wrote:
Let's say during my opponents operations phase, he plays a character. I then take my action and destroy that character with X card. I have to pass priority back to the active player and I can't activate my response because the character entered the discard pile? So what if he then plays an action? Can I then trigger my response?

I think you're getting a little confused and making priority more complicated than it really is.

The response window opens immediately after the event happened, and will close if no one plays any responses. Therefore, all responses must be played before moving onto the next action.

What happens is this:

1. Opponent plays character (pass priority)
1a. You pass on Responses to that trigger
1b. Opponent passes on responses to that trigger

2. You kill character (pass priority)
2a. Opponent passes on Disrupts to that action
2b. You pass on Disrupts to that action

(Response window opens to the character dying, going to the graveyard, etc.)
2c. Opponent passes on Responses to that trigger
2d. You play whatever Response you're holding onto
2e. Opponent again passes
2f. You pass.

3. Opponent takes a new action.

MechSpike wrote:
So as long as a creature entered the discard pile at any point in time during this phase, I could trigger that ability?

No, you must trigger the response before the response window closes.

MechSpike wrote:
Also, can I trigger that response more than once if I can pay for it?

You may trigger a response once per card, per trigger. And you've got to be able to pay for it each time.

MechSpike wrote:
Also is there a hand size limit?? Man I swear I post a question then an hour later I recall I have another I forgot to ask...

No hand limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a side board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boosel
United States
New Wilmington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
A group of cards, usually 15, that can be switched out with other cards in your deck in between each game to combat certain types of decks.

For instance, if you go to a tournament and expect there to be a deck that uses real good support cards to swing the game for the opponent, you might have Support card removal in your sideboard, which you would swap into your deck during those match-ups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or does the use of face-down cards from outside your deck as your first three domains make this game seem tailor-suited for sideboards? When I first read that rule my all I could think was "Oh, so they did it this way so you can just pull the top three from your sideboard and it's no big deal." Instead, you have to have three extra cards that you specifically know you're not going to play with? Seems... awkward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Actually the old CCG had dedicated Domain cards. I think it's kinda dumb FFG doesn't include them in the big-box sets, seems kinda cheapass on their part. Maybe have nicer deluxe ones available to buy separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played CCGs since 1993 and I never wavered in my belief that sideboards are akin to cheating. If you can't win with the deck you've got, you don't deserve to win. Sideboards only serve to make the rock-paper-scissors nature of the balance in mechanics less consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheapassness is really weird, because the box actually comes with a ton of solid components. It's overkill to have 18 Cthulhu figs if you want a full play set of the core cards. I mean, they're actually really nice figs and I'm more than happy to have extras to use for other stuff, but seriously? Seems like six fancy domain cards in a set would be the least of your worries if you're trying to eventually sell me three (completely unnecessary) boards and 108 wound/success tokens.

I don't have a problem with sideboards, personally. It gives more depth to the metagame, and keeps you from getting screwed if you happen to show up with a strategy that is strongly countered by another strategy that is unusually common at the tournament, or worse if you play best out of 3 or 5 against a single player who happens to counter your strategy. Sideboards let you design tighter decks because you don't necessarily need to counter every single strategy (which opens up cool new strategies), and it still takes foresight and good deckbuilding because you need to know what to bring for your sideboard in the first place. Sideboards also let cards that are hard-counters to one type of deck but useless against others exist and be useful and see actual play. You swap out your sideboard cards before the game, ideally with imperfect information about your opponent's deck (and certainly imperfect information about his sideboard substitution choices).

I agree sideboards make the rock-paper-scissors balance less consistent, but I would argue they do so in a good way. Additionally, sideboards bring the deckbuilding aspect into the tournament. Sometimes you have to figure out how to deal with a dominant strategy on-the-fly given the limited resources of your sideboard, which is interesting and makes the contest a more complete test of your ability in every aspect of the game, not just whether you've copied a suggested deck build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.