Popular Tags: [View All]
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We are starting to finish a Scenario 2 game with T-MO (where his fiendish raid planning has well and truly beaten me) and a detection check (rolled a 1 on random events) resulted in a weird situation.

His single raid has hit Yeovil (while I was off chasing dummies over Group 11) and is returning. I have maybe one squadron that can catch up. In 0702, an FJ is covering the raid, which is adjacent in 0601. BOth are detected.

Am I reading the rules correctly in that the FJ becomes undetected (not in arc of the RDF in Worth) but the raid stays detected (in the arc). If yes, that means there's this strange gap in RDF cover in hexes 0702/0801/0901. Observer Corps can not detect in those hexes either.

Future LW and RAF players beware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're experiencing is one of the limitations of representing a 3-dimensional world on a 2-dimensional piece of paper! Or more explicitly, the fact that the poor designer has to create an edge to his map somewhere! The same thing is likely to happen if your target is Filton; in that case you fly off the edge of the map (the world?) before coming back on. We can handle it. We have the technology.

In reality, of course, there was another RDF station to the west, off the border of the TBB map; West Prawle, if WEG's 'RAF' is to be believed. That would have provided the appropriate coverage.

In fact, in a response to an earlier thread, LBW had said that you could consider hex 0702 as a land hex (probably caused by a few pebbles from Chesil Beach being dumped there by the tide), meaning that your FJ could be detected by the Corps.

But that may be overthinking the issue. Perhaps there were some gaps in coverage in the 'third-best' RDF system of 1940. Even in my flying days we were much amused to hear WRAF radar controllers inform us that "you are entering my dark area." Wishful thinking.

Check also rule 11.2.2: "Once a raid is detected, it stays detected, even if it moves out of the arc and range of RDF or moves away from land/coastline hexes in England." So I think your raids are still detected regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:

Check also rule 11.2.2: "Once a raid is detected, it stays detected, even if it moves out of the arc and range of RDF or moves away from land/coastline hexes in England." So I think your raids are still detected regardless.

Yes it's simply a map limitation. Any detection check could make it hidden though (the above does not trigger detection checks, I think removing the comma after the word 'detected' may make is read a bit clearer) Splitting the raid or a random event could also trigger one. It would be very gamey though if the Lutwaffe plotted a split there to try and take advantage. We've already ruled RDF is in those hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.