Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K W
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ebay prices are high. For those prices, you could probably get 3 to 5 good games.

When you read the reviews here, it seems the game play is just ok - awesome on theme but heavy on luck.

If the game was in stock and you could buy it today, how much would you value it?

Another way of saying, if you paid $150 on ebay for it, how much value did you get for gameplay, and how much was a premium for the availability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG could put this out and slap a $99 price tag on it and no one would bat an eye, because of the really nice componentry. Think Battle Cry for about equivalent depth of gameplay and box size. In other words, pretty good game, easily worth $99. $150, that's pushing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it has a ton of pretty minis and other nice components but I wasn't all that "awestruck" by it as a game. E.G. the choke point in the core effectively eliminated those units for the duration of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent 107 and played this 23 times so far. So it's cost me $4.86 to play each game. I've enjoyed each and every session and I don't regret a minute spent playing it. In contrast, I've spent twice that much to see movies that were dreadful. So I'd say Queen's Gambit for me has been a good value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
E.G. the choke point in the core effectively eliminated those units for the duration of the game.

Huh ? Maul kills Jedis, nothing blocking him anymore, Jedi kills Maul, ditto. Core is the key battle of the game.

To the OP, why is luck bad? Queen's Gambit ain't no Euro .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K W
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
To the OP, why is luck bad? Queen's Gambit ain't no Euro .

Nah. luck isn't bad, but "luck heavy" is.

Without luck, we'd be playing chess, too much luck, snakes n ladders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have cards and dice. For cards, you do have a 5 selection from each deck normally, so should have a fairly solid selection of what you want to do. As for dice, dice > card-based combat in my book (with few words and lotsa pictures laugh ). Even though Middle-Earth Quest totally hit home and worked with card-combat, rolling dice is preferrable to me. Thus, with its very high marks for theme + lots of dice, QG is one of my favourites.

As to its currently low # of logged plays (21), main reason was the trouble of finding sleeves for the cards. The cardboard seemed very prone to wear and tear, even after some 15 games it was giving me worries. Now that I have sleeves, I'm predicting QG will have 30-40+ plays total by the end of 2010. Like MEQ tossing War of the Ring off my "Middle-Earth fix" game spot, QG did much the same for WotR when it came to epic battles of good and evil games. Both have a timer-mechanism (Fellowship and Anakin), lots of plastic goodness, cards and dice. QG sets up and plays faster. Got the games in the same month (April 08, found QG still in stock at my FLGS surprise ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before playing, I thought the theme and reviews were interesting enough to spend $60 on it, but I wouldn't have gone any higher.

Now that I've played, I'd instantly pay twice that for a new copy if something happened to mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K W
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
So basically ebay prices are still good value, it sounds like.

Although, if we're comparing it to MEQ, that's $80 retail, $60 online. This one is $100 online.

It would be better value to buy MEQ then.

Or if comparing to Runewars, Space Hulk, Horus Heresy, which are ~$100 retail, which one is better value?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hulkersulzer wrote:
So basically ebay prices are still good value, it sounds like.

Although, if we're comparing it to MEQ, that's $80 retail, $60 online. This one is $100 online.

It would be better value to buy MEQ then.

Or if comparing to Runewars, Space Hulk, Horus Heresy, which are ~$100 retail, which one is better value?

Those are all pretty subjective though. For me, MEQ has seen 40 plays. SW:QG at 21 plays, though will see more in the near future, MEQ is on hold for now. Both have definately been all I expected and more. On the flipside, Fury of Dracula and Chaos in the Old World have both been disappointments. Of the last three (RW, SH, HH), only Horus Heresy is a game I'm keeping an eye on, since I own the original and the theme hits with 40k pressure cool . Already have Doom (and Space Crusade whistle ), so Space Hulk wouldn't have seen much action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was willing to spend that much, so yes, yes, I would pay that much for it.

There are a staggering amount of minis. If the price were just for the game play with cardboard counters or something, that's be another story altogether.

After owning it for some time, was it worth the price? Windopaene probably ballparked it best - If it were on the self today, $90 for sure. I was willing to go higher, but that was factoring rarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K W
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
If the gameplay is being compared to Battle Cry or Memoir'44, then the gameplay is worth about $40.

We could say the minis and chrome adds some $30 value and the rest ($30-$50) is a premium paid for availability (or lack thereof).

Anyway I look at it, it's an expensive game to get, especially since I haven't played it and don't know if I'll actually take to it.

I bid some $100 a couple of times on ebay but I always got sniped. I'm thinking I'll have to be satisfied with something from FFG in the near term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I don't think the gameplay compares to Battle Cry. Most of the game involves just dice rolling without decisions- the jedi battle, anakin's space voyage. There's a bit of strategy in the way the palace is handled and a bit in the battle field. Most of the time the cards to play are pretty obvious too. And it takes a long long time to play. For me, the value of this game is not in the gameplay at all. If you get in the mood and the dice/cards come out fun, you have a good time.

If you are not at the point where you can spend money freely, then get several better games. This is a luxury item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caltino wrote:
And it takes a long long time to play.

Average of under 90 minutes isn't long long time in my book. If it takes you longer (barring first game maybe), blame AP (or horrible luck on both sides being unable to kill enough people).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K W
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it's time to put this game in the same category as Warhammer Quest.

Unattainable for us mortals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game I expect to one day cave in on, and pay whatever it takes. Not because it's my favourite game (not by a long way) or even my favourite light two player wargame (that's much tighter) but because of the theme and the bits that make it so tempting to non gamers. If it were an abstract, but otherwise exactly the same I wouldnt be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K W
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
jpinnion wrote:
This is a game I expect to one day cave in on, and pay whatever it takes. Not because it's my favourite game (not by a long way) or even my favourite light two player wargame (that's much tighter) but because of the theme and the bits that make it so tempting to non gamers. If it were an abstract, but otherwise exactly the same I wouldnt be interested.

Aah...the "delay the expenses" technique. The only problem with this is the price keeps going up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay alone is alright, $40.

Excellent components are worth another $60 to me.

I enjoy Star Wars a lot and I have played this 20+ times with family and old high school friends throughout the last decade. Theme and Nostaligia factor would make me chip in another $100.

So my set is worth at least $200 to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renny Roufail
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember buying my copy back when they first displayed it at Gencon, I think I paid around $50 or so. After having played it 20+ times I think it's worth a lot more then that. It may involve luck but if your a Star Wars fan this game is dripping with theme. The miniatures are fantastic, the multi-level palace is unique, having 4 things going on at the same time? I've personally never played a game with that much stuff going on at once. Plus, aside from Epic Duels, I can't really think of another fun Star Wars board game with this level of theme. In fact I love the game so much that as a birthday gift to myself I just bought a sealed copy of the game for $240. Is that a lot of money? You bet but if something were to ever happen to my copy I would have another in mint condition to carry on the fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.