Subject: From a non-wargamer: my introduction to ASL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Debbie Ohi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
YAY, a chance to play games during the DAY!! (I am cursed with morning person genes)
badge
I tweet about board gaming at @BGGgirl, about writing/illustrating at @inkyelbows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Until a couple of months ago, I had "Willing to play any game except for wargames" on my profile. Then I decided to try Memoir '44 a chance (here's my session report).

I know some of you don't consider Memoir a REAL wargame but it was much more of a wargame than anything else I've played. I don't yet have enough experience to call myself a wargamer, but I've been enjoying playing through Memoir scenarios with jridpath.

Anyway, my friend aiabx has been an avid ASL fan for ages, so last night I asked if he'd give me an intro. There wasn't enough time for us to play a scenario, so he went over the basics and showed me some of the base components.

I have to say that I was hugely impressed by all the detail that goes into ASL, holy cow. And I can see how all that extra info would add realism and a more interesting narrative to gameplay.

Thanks very much to my friend Andy for the intro to ASL. I look forward to trying out my first scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where were you when I was young and unmarried? Oh,well,such is life.

bikerboy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkygirl wrote:

I have to say that I was hugely impressed by all the detail that goes into ASL, holy cow. And I can see how all that extra info would add realism and a more interesting narrative to gameplay.

And so it begins.. fast forward a few years, you will be living in a single hex stone building, or maybe a rowhouse. You estimate LOS in hex range in your neighbourhood and pick out the buildings to site your MGs. Car breakdowns become startup DR = 12. You convert car rego plates into ASL acronyms. Fuel efficiency is measured in MP/litre. Minus numbers are good.

My advice, make sure your first scenario is set in Stalingrad. We all started in Stalingrad ASL academy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise you to enter ASL world via the Starter Kits.
They introduce you to the basics, but are much more easy and quick to learn and play than full ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkygirl wrote:
[snipped]I have to say that I was hugely impressed by all the detail that goes into ASL, holy cow.[snipped]

Remember that according to rule A40.61 and D42.11, the Holy Cow (it's the flip-side of the wagon counter) may only be used by British units with Indian in their unit designation and is not able to be used for anything, not even towing a Gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I as thinking of JDJ 1.1 - Retaking Vierville as an introductory scenario for Debbie. It was the full ASL draft version of the scenario which later became ASLSK #1, and is downloadable free from the Gamesquad site. I'm looking at it because it has no SW and ties in thematically with the Memoir 44 scenarios Debbie has already played.
I won't be trying the Starter Kit because a) I don't have it and b) my experience is that new players love snipers. But if the experiment is a success, I'll recommend it as a first purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another classical introductory scenario is "T1 Gavin take", freely downloadable from MMP's site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Inkygirl!...and make sure there's a cartoon about the aftermath....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkygirl wrote:
I have to say that I was hugely impressed by all the detail that goes into ASL

the detail in the sources may have been extensive, but the end result is all very simplistic. I once asked about the mysteries of Crew Survival numbers, and was told that there wasn't an easy way of doing it so they just put in the size of the crew, so a standard tank with a 3-man turret would have a CS of 5. Similarly the *, L, LL classification for guns is merely their muzzle velocities in 300m/s increments. ASL is an expansion of this type of evaluation, although some parts of the rules reform or replacement, and others are singularly superior even after 25 years. The armour/AT system reigns supreme, all the more when we consider the myriad attempts at doing the same before and after that fell so far short of this.

The penny usually drops very, very slowly in the ability to discern top quality design from the rest, usually accompanied by problems associated with terms like "fun", "complexity", whether it is "liked", and so forth. Sometimes games aren't so much complex as better designed and organised than the human holding the box, a discordance that leads to bumps along the road to correct critical analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Another classical introductory scenario is "T1 Gavin take", freely downloadable from MMP's site.

My first and only (yet) full ASL scenario was Gavin take and I found it really nice and easy. The strategies are pretty easy to grasp (try to escape through the flanks or try to blow through the middle) there are no snipers, no hedgerows, no tanks, no guns... I found it an excellent learning scenario. But...

But I had already played all the SK 1 scenarios. Those are the best learning tool you can use, specially the first two. If you can get hold of any of those two scenarios try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
Inkygirl wrote:

Sometimes games aren't so much complex as better designed and organised than the human holding the box, a discordance that leads to bumps along the road to correct critical analysis.

She's gonna bump your head with the box she's holding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL is the number one game system in the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Ohi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
YAY, a chance to play games during the DAY!! (I am cursed with morning person genes)
badge
I tweet about board gaming at @BGGgirl, about writing/illustrating at @inkyelbows.
mbmbmbmbmb
sbluerock wrote:
aforandy wrote:
Inkygirl wrote:

Sometimes games aren't so much complex as better designed and organised than the human holding the box, a discordance that leads to bumps along the road to correct critical analysis.

She's gonna bump your head with the box she's holding.

He has a point, though. I had read over his message a second time before I realized I was being insulted. Heh.

Debbie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.