Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played several PBEM games now, it seems that this issue comes up eventually, and there seem to be nearly infinite methods of resolving the matter, often skewed to favor the presenter of the method! I think it goes without saying, that being specific in one’s posts helps to avoid the problem and may provide an easy solution, so I try to explain in quick shorthand how I derived my dice calculation.

While it differs slightly from that used for the HIS PBEM tourney and several other methods I’ve seen, I prefer the following protocol that I’ll call “roller first, non-roller last, throw out the middle if too many, non-roller adds dice if too few. This method offers the following advantages.
1) Less rerolling. Excess dice are thrown out and shortages are handled by the inactive player, so no excessive rerolling of results that some methods advocate.
2) Throwing out the middle if there are too many dice allows for less confusion as there is no potential overlap.
3) With longer strings of numbers it is easier to count from the ends inward than the opponent starting somewhere in the middle and continuing from there.
4) When multiple attempts follow in quick succession, reducing the possibility of mistakes decreases the cluster^#@% that ensues if a mistake was made at the beginning of multiple rolls where later rolls are affected by the outcome of earlier ones.
5) Less waiting time for corrections. The non-roller is more often shorted (since the roller is usually more interested in his own dice) and can add the missing dice w/o having to wait for the original roller to do so.

What does your group use and why is it preferred? How do you handle establishing a protocol with a new group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally attacker then defender. But I try to say for each roll.

If too many dice are rolled the ones at the end are removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group usually the attacker declares cards and passes to the defender. The defender declares cards and rolls all the dice. Always the firsts go for the attacker and the lasts for the defender. If there are too many we delete from the end. If there are too few, we roll a few more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
In our group usually the attacker declares cards and passes to the defender. The defender declares cards and rolls all the dice. Always the firsts go for the attacker and the lasts for the defender. If there are too many we delete from the end. If there are too few, we roll a few more.

Hey Marti!

This is how we do it too. No rerolls...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems most people throw out extra dice at the end of the string. I still think it's easier to count from the ends inward than for the second person to start somewhere in the middle of the string and count down. I'd think that more prone to an error which could really get complicated if compounded in a multiple Ref., Counter-Ref attempt turn.

How did groups go about deciding which method to use? Just adopting the PBEM tourney method? Always game with the same group so it's settled law? Were other ideas discussed?

Jason-You said no rerolls. Do you punish the person making an error of too few dice by losing them? That would certainly discourage errors! What if both player's dice total is wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
"No rerolls" doesn't mean you can't roll additional dice if you rolled too few at first, as far as I understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rievler wrote:
Jason-You said no rerolls. Do you punish the person making an error of too few dice by losing them? That would certainly discourage errors! What if both player's dice total is wrong?

turbothy wrote:
"No rerolls" doesn't mean you can't roll additional dice if you rolled too few at first, as far as I understand.

Correct. If you roll only one dice and you are supposed to roll 6, you only roll another 5. You don't reroll all 6 dice. If you are supposed to roll 3 and you roll 5, you take the top 3. Sorry, if I didn't make myself clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.